RESOLVED: vbox sm-mta SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": missing map file

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my most recent update of FreeNAS STABLE, I am getting the following error periodically:

vbox sm-mta[15063]: u2381XHn015065: SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or directory.

I tried to cat /etc/mail/aliases.db and sure enough, it's not there.

I tried to:

make -C /etc/mail aliases

which returns:

`aliases' is up to date.

I also tried:

newaliases

which returns:

mailwrapper: no mapping in /etc/mail/mailer.conf

Anybody know how to resolve this?

D

dlavigne

Nope. Just to confirm, what is the build version (from System -> Information) and the system's hardware specs?

Looks like the error is back. Also, my vbox VM which is mapped to raw disks on Windows became degraded, which may be what triggered the need to send an email...

The resolution was to set an email address for the root user in the jail, which I neglected to do because I take a look at the GUI just about every day. It's probably something I should have done from the start.

First, you ought to make sure you have a root email address configured for the host:

Account > Users > View Users. Locate root. Click Change E-mail.
Enter a valid email address to receive e-mail alerts.

Then, configure e-mail in System > Email.

Review your aliases file in /etc/mail/aliases to see how you'll need to configure aliases in your jail:

cat /etc/mail/aliases

You should see root: your_email@host.tld at the bottom of the file.

Open the jail shell from Jails > View Jails, click your jail in the list, then use the second from the right icon at the bottom to open the jail shell.

Edit /etc/mail/aliases in the jail, adding the email address for root at the bottom. Save.

Now generate the aliases.db file with:

make -C /etc/mail aliases

That should do it. Note that you need to have an MTA configured in the jail to send email from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.