BUILD NAS Build Thoughts/Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRugger

Dabbler
I ended up purchasing six individual sata cables as I'm only starting my build with 6 drives and do not have a need for the on board controller yet. My parts come tomorrow so I can further advise once they arrive.

Have you ordered parts uet?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You need regular SATA cables for the X10SL7-F's SAS ports.

reactor789

Dabbler
I ended up purchasing six individual sata cables as I'm only starting my build with 6 drives and do not have a need for the on board controller yet. My parts come tomorrow so I can further advise once they arrive.

Not yet on a week or so. Heading out of town

Turns out I need 6 Sata cables the board comes with 2 if them.

I wanted to hook the drives up to the sas controller cuz maybe it would be faster

I doubt it since the drives and other stuff is probably the limiting factor

The only thing I am going to do different is install a hd for the machine to boot off. (Maybe get a ssd). Instead of using a USB thumb drive

Thanks for all the info

BlackRugger

Dabbler
From what I have read there is not much of a benefit to going to with a ssd over a thumb drive as the freenas software isn't wrote intensive. So you could potentially save a few bucks by sticking with a thumb drive.

BlackRugger

Dabbler
Setup update.....

I stumbled upon a new Eaton 9130 UPS for 100 bucks and will be using that for backup power. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not yet on a week or so. Heading out of town

Turns out I need 6 Sata cables the board comes with 2 if them.

I wanted to hook the drives up to the sas controller cuz maybe it would be faster

I doubt it since the drives and other stuff is probably the limiting factor

The only thing I am going to do different is install a hd for the machine to boot off. (Maybe get a ssd). Instead of using a USB thumb drive

Thanks for all the info

Do not waste a disk. Install it on a pen drive. Seriously, there's no advantage, you can't use the disk for anything else.

BlackRugger

Dabbler
Also you would only use around 2 gigs of the SSD and forfeit the rest since the OS won't use it.

reactor789

Dabbler
Also you would only use around 2 gigs of the SSD and forfeit the rest since the OS won't use it.

Okay thanks guys.

I was thinking if i installed a lot of plugins etc, there would be lots of space on the drive.

So since i have a small HD (150 - 200 GB) that isn't hooked up to anything, i'll just use that. That way at least I don't have to buy a USB flash drive.

(its cheaper)

Thanks for all of the info. this has been super helpful.

Sir.Robin

Guru
My x20sl7 came with 6 sata cables..?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

reactor789

Dabbler
My x20sl7 came with 6 sata cables..?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Okay i am just going with what it says at super micro's website, i honestly have no idea how many cables it comes with.

The cables are the cheapest part of the whole thing. Maybe i'll just buy the cables at a local store, that way returning them is easy.
Thanks.

reactor789

Dabbler

I have ordered nothing yet, i'll probably order stuff in a week or so.

BlackRugger

Dabbler
Okay i am just going with what it says at super micro's website, i honestly have no idea how many cables it comes with.

The cables are the cheapest part of the whole thing. Maybe i'll just buy the cables at a local store, that way returning them is easy.
Thanks.

Just wanted to give you heads up and let you know that my board also came with 6 sata cables, and I ordered from NewEgg.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There seem to be two versions of most Supermicro motherboard SKUs - the one they call bulk, which I imagine has fewer cables, and the regular one. The former has a "-B" appended to the model name and the latter a "-O"

reactor789

Dabbler
There seem to be two versions of most Supermicro motherboard SKUs - the one they call bulk, which I imagine has fewer cables, and the regular one. The former has a "-B" appended to the model name and the latter a "-O"

Amazon seems to have the -O version so i guess its the regular one.

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Amazon seems to have the -O version so i guess its the regular one.

Thanks.

They sometimes have both versions (in Europe at least...)

BlackRugger

Dabbler
So all of my parts arrived today and I loaded up my case only to run into an error. After 15-30 seconds of the system being booted up the internal speaker begins to beep and will not stop beeping. I have searched the web but haven't been able to find any threads regarding this error. Any help from guys with experience from this board would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's the pattern to the beeps? The manual has a table of the various patterns and their meaning.

BlackRugger

Dabbler
Not a beep at all sounds more like a police siren and is constant. The manual only describes short beeps in fairly quick succession.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At what stage of the boot process does it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.