BUILD Build and first post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
Greetings, honored FreeNas-forumites *Ahem*

I have been in the market for a nas for a while now , and as I tend to gravitate to open source solutions I found my way here, eventually.

After lurking a for a while and reading quite a lot I finally plucked up the guts to compile a build skeleton in 2 variants.

I am somewhat new to this, so I am in great need of advice.

One concern I have is disk replacement difficulty, so I would be especially curios to hear input from people who have experience with building in these cases.

Use case in short: Single household user. Media server and some back up.

Both selected cases are quite small due to space constraints, so I intend to pic up some PWM fans for additional cooling, but this requires some additional research.

An additional question is : Might it be better to update the first variant to Skylake/ DDR4 for additional future proofing? I do want the server to last me a while

The first variant is the one that currently seems must suitable for what I want and need

Case - Fractal design node 804

CPU - Intel Core i3 4170 3,7GHz

Motherboard - Supermicro X10SL7-F

Memory - 4 * Samsung ddr3 8gb ecc M391B1G73QH0-CK000

Boot device (undecided: Small SSD or USB)

Storage - WD WD40ERFX 4TB Red X 6 or 8 in raidz2

PSU - Corsair RMx Series RM650x

The second build is more expensive but tempting given that i have concerns over diskrepalcement with the first.

Case - Fractal Design FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK Define R5 Black $ 179.00

Motherboard - ASRock E3C224D4I-14S

Memory - 4 * Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz KVR1333D3E9S/8G (Unsure About this one)

Boot device (undecided: USB or a DOM of some sort)

Thank you in advance for any help!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One concern I have is disk replacement difficulty, so I would be especially curios to hear input from people who have experience with building in these cases.
Uhmm... None. You just need to follow the instructions in the manual.

An additional question is : Might it be better to update the first variant to Skylake/ DDR4 for additional future proofing? I do want the server to last me a while
Probably a good idea if you're starting at 32GB.

maglin

Patron
I wish skylake was an option when I purchased my system. Going to 64GB of RAM cheaply hardware wise would help me greatly. So if you can afford the extra cost now to go skylake do it.

I think when you said ease of disk replacement you where referring to drive cages that are easily removed. I would recommend an E16 SuperMicro 4U server case from eBay. Again maybe more up front but comes with redundant 1200 watt PSUs that will pass data to your systems BMC so you can see power usage and have room for 25 drives all while having proper cooling for all the drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The second build is more expensive but tempting given that i have concerns over diskrepalcement with the first.
My first case was an R4 (which I now utilize as a testing box), the 18months my build was in this case, I never had the occasion to R&R a single drive!
The two front 140mm fans kept my 6 drives cool without issue and two more where used to exhaust to the rear and top.
IMHO the smaller cases have fewer mount points for fans, this means more fan speed (to compensate) which often leads to more noise.
If you plan your build with proper burn-in procedure, the likelihood of changing out a drive... it just doesn't come up unless your luck is bad.
Knowing what I know now, I realize that drives are changed out only on rare occasions and ease of drive replacement should pretty much be
ignored when choosing a case for your build.

Having said that, I want you to know that I moved my hardware to a large Case Labs box about six months ago,
(I already owned it) for the sole purpose of being able to fit some hot swap cages (see my avatar pic).
My rationalization for doing this, has no practical merit whatsoever, I climbed that mountain just because it was there.
I hoped my response gave you some semblance of an answer

Ceetan

Contributor
Oh dear me: I see I made a grave mistake: Crap.
The second more expensive build was supposed to look like this:

Lian Li PCQ 26

Motherboard - ASRock E3C224D4I-14S

Memory - 4 * Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz KVR1333D3E9S/8G (Unsure About this one)

Boot device (undecided: USB or a DOM of some sort)

Thank you in advance for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.