FreeNAS Box SupermicroX11

Status
Not open for further replies.

fontes31

Explorer
Hi to all,

I am building a new FreeNAS box with these components:

Supermicro X11ssh-F
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5, Socket LGA 1151 (3GHZ)
Crucial 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 2133 MTs DIMM 288pin
Fractal Design FD-CA-DEF-R5-TI
Corsair RMX Series RM550X
2x3TB WD RED

What you Think?

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard
Fontes, the memory is not on the supermicro recommended list. Check their site for more info: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSH-F.cfm

Also what are you using for boot? I assume 2 HDs for your pool and, with that, you will be limited on options to set it up and max of one HD redundancy. Depending on terabyte cost on Cabral's land, I'd go with more disks, even if smaller, to setup a Raidz2. I like to plan for at least five, but all depends on your need.

fontes31

Explorer
Fontes, the memory is not on the supermicro recommended list. Check their site for more info: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSH-F.cfm

Also what are you using for boot? I assume 2 HDs for your pool and, with that, you will be limited on options to set it up and max of one HD redundancy. Depending on terabyte cost on Cabral's land, I'd go with more disks, even if smaller, to setup a Raidz2. I like to plan for at least five, but all depends on your need.
Thanks for your help. For boot i will use an SSD.
About the cooler for the cpu, you suggest and active or passive heatsink?

fontes31

Explorer

I will check where i can find the recommended memory

fontes31

Explorer
I found this memory:
16GB supermicro X11SSH-F DDR4 UDIMM ECC 2133MHZ PC4-2133E from speicher. they have tested and received a certification for this memory on the supermicro X11ssh-f board

darkwarrior

Patron
Hello there,
if you found your Crucial RAM reference through the online tool, on the EU Crucial shop, everything will be fine ;)
Crucial is testing, maintaining and updating their own QVLs for many other hardware vendors too :cool:

darkwarrior

Patron
You will always want to have your cooler "running" actively.
Passive CPU cooler are for High-Airflow profile server running in climate controlled rooms :cool:
Not something for a home/hobby environment :p

fontes31

Explorer
Wich cooler you suggest?
I use the freenas for transcoding 4k videos on plex. At same time one user.
The intel cooler that cames with the cpu is enough? Is quiet?
Wich other coolers you recommend? I need a quiet cooler
Thanks

darkwarrior

Patron
Wich cooler you suggest?
I use the freenas for transcoding 4k videos on plex. At same time one user.
The intel cooler that cames with the cpu is enough? Is quiet?
Wich other coolers you recommend? I need a quiet cooler
Thanks

Personally, i like aftermarket coolers as well. :D
The Noctua's are great and have a "good bang for buck" value :cool:
In most builds the CPU cooler is not necessarily the noisiest component, but the Noctua's should be able to cool down the CPU nicely even under heavy load (transcoding 4K content), without making much of a fuss :p

Status
Not open for further replies.