N00b to freenas, new build, and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildDoktor

Cadet
Hey all; new to freenas, not to computers/networking/administration. I'm a Microsoft guy, have a MAP subscription and am updating my small business network (I work that from home) to 2012r2.

Was pretty stoked about the new Storage Spaces features until I realized it's basically just software RAID...so adding higher capacity drives in the future is still subject to the "add the same sized drives or lose capacity" as hardware raid.

Now turned onto FreeNAS because it seems that freenas does better at this. I hope!

My proposed build: An older rack-mount server w/2x Xeon 5000 CPUs, 32Gb FBDIMM, 6x hot-swap drive bays, dual gig nic's. Out in the garage, of course; sound's like a jet taking off. :smile:

The server is loaded with 320Gb drives...not a lot of space, really. However, I've got 2x 500Gb drives, a 750Gb drive, and a 1Tb drive laying around, all in good condition w/no bad blocks. If I combine all those with a couple 320's, I'll have 6 drives and (raw) roughly 3.3Tb, which is fine for now.

Million dollar question is this: How would I setup FreeNAS so that next month when I purchase a couple 2Tb drives (the server most likely won't handle over 2tb drives), I can remove the 320's and replace them with the 2tb drives?

I've read hundreds of threads here over the past week but can't seem to find the answer to this...wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's in this very forum, for as my wife is fond of saying "You might have to *move* something!!", so my apologies in advance if I've missed it. :smile:

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks...and Happy New Year!!

WildDoktor

Cadet
BTW, the plan is to build a 2012r2 hyper-v server in my office and store the vhd's on the freenas box. Also want to experiment with Plex and maybe OwnCloud on the freenas box. I've got gig networking throughout.

gpsguy

Read cyberjock's guide first.

If you decided to build a RAIDz1 or RAIDz2 array with different sized drives, create it with FreeNAS 8.3.2. 9.x won't let you do it from the webgui.

Status
Not open for further replies.