Mysterious reboots with new HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Prince

Explorer
In my media center running freenas 9.3, I replaced my old 3x500GB HDD with a new WD RED 2 TB HDD. I have successfully migrated files, plugins, storage from the old to the new HDD and it works perfectly but since I detached the old ones, the nas began to reboot itself randomly.
It works perfectly for 10,15,20 minutes and suddenly shuts down and restarts as if the power goes, but if I reconnect the old hdd (even without import ZFS volumes) the new 2 TB hard drive runs for hours without ever rebooting.

I hope I explained because it is a very strange problem.
I have no idea what it is and how solve it please help me!

Hello @Mr Prince , for any of us to assist you can you please provide your system spec's such as motherboard make/model, CPU make/model, RAM, etc please.

Mr Prince

Explorer
Hello @Mr Prince , for any of us to assist you can you please provide your system spec's such as motherboard make/model, CPU make/model, RAM, etc please.
Yes i have a very modest system, I use it (for 2 years without problem) only as home MediaCenter:

- Motherboard Acer F90M
- 4 GB ram PC2-6400
- CPU: Intel Celeron 2.80GHz
- NEW HDD (only to use) 2TB WD RED
- OLD HDD (to detach) 3x500GB generic HDD (1 SATA, 2 PATA)

So now while the 2 may not be related, i can tell you you have half the minimum required ram to run 9.3, the minimum is 8Gb, the other spec's could be considered acceptable if the ram met the requirements, this could be related to your issue; but it could also be nothing. Does the logs say anything?

Mr Prince

Explorer
So now while the 2 may not be related, i can tell you you have half the minimum required ram to run 9.3, the minimum is 8Gb, the other spec's could be considered acceptable if the ram met the requirements, this could be related to your issue; but it could also be nothing. Does the logs say anything?
The minimum ram doesn't explain why it work PERFECTLY with 4 HDD attached (2 different pool) but when I detach the 3 old ones, it begin to reboot!!
How can I read the relatives logs? THANKS

gpsguy

Mr Prince

Explorer
Last week you said you had 2x500GB drives and you wanted to replace them with a 2GB drive. And, at the end of the thread you said you had 2GB of RAM
Yes after your explanation I bought a new 2GB RAM and now I have 4GB (the maximum memory my motherboard support)

It does explain it, as the lack of ram can cause the pool to unmount and possibly force FreeNAS to reboot to attempt to remount it. Take a look at this thread here to setup logging, or help you determine if you have logs . https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-colect-the-log-after-reboot.17770/

In var/log there are lot of file, which is useful to understand the problem? (sorry for the newbie question)

Mr Prince

Explorer
UPDATE:
- I downgraded my FREENAS from 9.3 to 9.2.1.9 so the minimum requirements are satisfied
- I detached my old volumes and here there are the logs with various reboot (search REBOOT HERE in pastebin) http://pastebin.com/Vqsm3r6w

Can it be a Power supply units problem? If I leave the SATA (WD RED) + 4 Pin IDE (at least 1 OLD HDD) attached it works, if I leave only the SATA the NAS restarts

gpsguy

9.2.1.9 still requires 8GB for ZFS.

Sure, it could be your power supply. What brand/model # is it? How many watts?

Sent from my phone

Mr Prince

Explorer
The official freenas page says http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/
* FreeNAS no longer supports 32-bit hardware. The last FreeNAS Release with 32-bit hardware support was FreeNAS 9.2.1.9. This release also supported the UFS filesystem. Deployments on 32-bit hardware using UFS had lower hardware requirements of a 4GB boot device and 4GB of RAM. PLEASE NOTE that further security and stability updates to the 9.2.1.x branch are not guaranteed.

I have a FSP300-50NAV Power Supply 300W NON-PFC

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Deployments on 32-bit hardware using UFS had lower hardware requirements of a 4GB boot device and 4GB of RAM.

You're using ZFS, not UFS :)

Mr Prince

Explorer
You're using ZFS, not UFS :)
Oh god you are right :confused::confused::(, but in the log there aren't RAM error and it reboots ONLY if i detach the IDE connector from the old HDD, if i leave at least 1 IDE connector and the 2TB SATA it works o_O

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh god you are right :confused::confused::(, but in the log there aren't RAM error and it reboots ONLY if i detach the IDE connector from the old HDD, if i leave at least 1 IDE connector and the 2TB SATA it works o_O

So it seems, by your own admission, that the issue is your hardware is flaky at best with FreeNAS. The answer seems obvious.. replace the hardware. :P

However, I would say that I seriously doubt that the IDE drive being attached is *actually* responsible. I'm betting its something more complicated like a driver loading and using a small amount of memory that is, by random coincidence, allowing the system to be more stable because of all of the other mechanisms at work.

I don't have evidence it's a RAM thing, just used it as an example. Besides, everyone who has been here for any period of time has seen enough threads where <8GB of RAM creates weird totally unexplainable behavior that magically goes away with 8GB (sound familiar?).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FSP300-50NAV Power Supply 300W NON-PFC
NON-PFC?

How old is that PSU? I thought those had been banned about a decade ago.

Also a very likely candidate for troublemaking. So I'd recommend new hardware all around.

Mr Prince

Explorer

maglin

Patron
I want to know why you have a NAS to begin with? It seems you don't really care about the data on it. For a very small investment you can upgrade your MB/CPU/RAM to at least the minimum specs. I'm new here and have been reading all sorts of threads just like this. Everyone of them goes exactly almost verbatim like this. "I replaced my HDD's (that totaled <= 2TB) with new drives that total usually double or better (>=2TB total) and now my NAS is having issues." When asked system specs it goes like this. "MB- Very old, CPU- old, slow, & cheap when it was new, RAM- =<4GB". When you read about ZFS you find out that the more capacity the array has the more RAM that is required for it to operate. You are in this boat.

The issues are usually different but the result is always the same in that you no longer have an effective storage solution. Some lose there data and get all butt hurt. The hardware is usually very very old consumer grade hardware that can literally be purchased for nothing today. (in referance I recently gave away an old Q6600 rig that would run circles around that Celeron rig for free as it was collecting dust in a corner of my basement) So if you care that little about the hardware for your storage then you care even less for the data on it.

This is not an elitist point of view. It's facts. If you can't afford the hardware then maybe you should run a linux distro on it and just turn it into a file server as you have the hardware to handle that. FYI for around $300-$400 you can get a few generations old server on Ebay that will run FreeNAS and have hot swapable HDD's. It won't be anything great by today's standards but it will be leaps and bounds better than what you have and also allow for proper ZFS employment. Just need to ensure it doesn't use a FSB (Front Side Bus) for reasons because it just don't work good. FSB's haven't been used in probably a decade now so just do some research.

And on a last note here. Power usage. That old hardware uses more power than these few generations old servers. I'm not saying you will have a complete ROI buying new hardware, but after 4 years you will probably come close to recouping 50% of it just on the power savings. Server PSU's when not under load use far less power than consumer grade PSU's. There is a reason they cost 3-4x as much when you are looking at just PSU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.