My Freenas does not boot any more from SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB stick

drkite

Cadet
Hi,

I have built a Freenas server three years ago; total capacity of 12GB, serves as a windows and apple file server, has been running very, very smoothly ever since. I have been very very happy with the entire system. Had upgraded the Freenas version several times in between and had never had any issue. Has been working so smoothly that right now I cannot even tell, which version I last upgraded to. Til yesterday.

Yesterday I noticed that my usual file server icon on my Macbook was missing. I tried to get it back through "Connect to server" and tried to connect to the "AFP...", but it did not work. So I checked the Freenas server and noticed that the screen was black. Switched monitor off and on, no change, also no reaction on input through keyboard or mouse. I then did a hard reset, but it booted into the Ubuntu system, which I have installed on the internal SSD. So I stopped the Ubuntu system and tried to boot into the UEFI BIOS. That already took several minutes, and when I finally got to the BIOS, I was not able to select the external USB boot stick anymore.

I plugged the USB stick into my Macbook, but also the Mac did not recognize the stick and suggested to reformat it.

I still have the original USB-stick which I used to do the install, but other than that, I have currently no idea how to proceed. Three years ago when I installed Freenas, I followed several guides to install backup scripts, but as Freenas was running so smoothly, I have never checked any of the backups and quite frankly, I forgot what scripts I installed.

Apparently, the HW of the server is working, I can boot into the SSD. Therefore I assume that the issue is with the external SanDisk Ultra stick. Is there any way to find out, whether the system setup has been saved to some other place?

What do you suggest how to continue?

Thanks for any help!

Bernhard

blueether

Patron
The best bet would be to install the same version that you currently run on to a new USB or SSD and recover the config off the system dataset. You should have no issues installing the FreeNAS-11.2-U5 (I would avoid U6 for now as there seems to be a few users with odd issues) and then recovering the config off the system dataset.

See https://www.ixsystems.com/community...system-config-db-in-the-system-dataset.69433/ for getting the config back, the upload to the GUI and a reboot <should> see you right