BUILD My first build: please share your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Shin_

Dabbler
Hello everyone.
After months of reading the forum I have finally decided to build my first free-NAS.

The machine will be used as a home server for backups and media storage, nothing fancy for the moment.
I will appreciate if you can share your thoughts and opinion on this hardware list.

MoBo: SuperMicro X10SLL-F (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLL-F.cfm)
CPU: Xeon E3-1220 V3
RAM: 2 x Samsung M393B1G70QH0 8GB DDR3 1.35 1600MHz ECC Registered
PSU: Seasonic G-450
Case: Fractal Designs Define r4
HDDs: 6 x Seagate ST4000VN000 on ZFS2 with two disk for parity.

I am just not really sure about the RAM and the HDDs.
I don't like surprises, so I checked the Tested RAM and HDD List on Supermicro's website.

I am having really a hard time to find the suggested RAM in my country (Italy).
The ones I have listed differs for one digit from the one tested by Supermicro (M391B1G73QH0).
Do you believe I am going to take a big risk ? Or I should be good?

As for the HDDs, I was first thinking to go for the suggested WD4000FYYZ but they are a bit out of my budget. Furthermore, the Seagates have a slower RPM.

Can anyone confirm that the ST4000VN000 are fully compatible with the Intel C220 ?

Is there anything else that I'm missing?
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help.

eqartimus

Explorer
Hi Shin!

I had the same trouble (In USA) finding Memory listed as compatible. I don't have a clue if your memory will work -- I am a totally newbie here. I eventually gave up on that motherboard (Not necessarily a smart choice.)
I just posted my hardware list on another thread. Good luck and happy computing!!

David

P.S. To be clear - I am not suggesting that you give up on that motherboard ... I am merely commiserating on the stress of finding compatible ECC Memory.

Z300M

Guru
Hello everyone.
After months of reading the forum I have finally decided to build my first free-NAS.

The machine will be used as a home server for backups and media storage, nothing fancy for the moment.
I will appreciate if you can share your thoughts and opinion on this hardware list.

MoBo: SuperMicro X10SLL-F (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLL-F.cfm)

I don't like surprises, so I checked the Tested RAM and HDD List on Supermicro's website.

The ones I have listed differs for one digit from the one tested by Supermicro (M391B1G73QH0).

As for the HDDs, I was first thinking to go for the suggested WD4000FYYZ but they are a bit out of my budget. Furthermore, the Seagates have a slower RPM.

Can anyone confirm that the ST4000VN000 are fully compatible with the Intel C220 ?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

As far as I can see, the M393B1G70QH0 modules are Registered, which will not work in that motherboard. You need Unbuffered RAM. Have you tried to find the recommended Hynix modules? Does the supplier of the motherboard also sell the RAM modules it needs?

I just read another thread in which one of the FreeNAS "old hands" expresses a preference for slower drives because they don't get as hot.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hello everyone.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you can't find Samsung, there's also Hynix and Micron/Crucial. Both have also been tested by Supermicro and are known to work (I'm running the Crucial/Micron modules myself). I believe Hynix is difficult to acquire in Europe, but Crucial can easily be ordered directly from Crucial.com. If you use their tool, the 8GB 1.35V DIMMs they suggest are the exact same as the Micron ones tested by Supermicro.

As for the drives, don't worry about it too much. 5400 RPM is better for cooling. WD Reds are the favorite around here, but Seagate NAS drives are also popular. Either should work well.

madik

Explorer
You can always save some money on CPU to keep the budget in the sane territory. Pentiums and i3 works pretty well for basic NAS system.

_Shin_

Dabbler
If you can't find Samsung, there's also Hynix and Micron/Crucial. Both have also been tested by Supermicro and are known to work (I'm running the Crucial/Micron modules myself). I believe Hynix is difficult to acquire in Europe, but Crucial can easily be ordered directly from Crucial.com. If you use their tool, the 8GB 1.35V DIMMs they suggest are the exact same as the Micron ones tested by Supermicro.

Thank you so much! I knew I was going to make a mistake.
I checked the store at crucial.com and I'm going to opt for this:

16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V 1024Meg
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2kit102472bd160b

You can always save some money on CPU to keep the budget in the sane territory. Pentiums and i3 works pretty well for basic NAS system.

Yeah I know the specs are a bit overkill for my usage, but for this box I want to use server components.
Thank you for the tip anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.