My CIFS shares are visible on windows 7 but not on windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormLamarre

Dabbler
I have followed the french tutorial from Durindel.fr and I have been trying for a couple of months on my main computer with windows 8.1 and damn it. can't see my cifs share. Strangely my laptop with windows 7 sees them, and just now my android phone with es explorateur can also see the share. I know that its not the first time that this question pup's up but I have trouble with the perfect answer. Is there something wrong with my windows 8.1 parameters. Please help tks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you connect to the share using your freenas IP? The network discovery feature is strange in newer versions of Windows.

Yep try:

\\your.ip.address.here\sharename

Do it from the windows explorer and you should either see the share or get a username password prompt. When microsoft decided to go with "homegroups" they seemed to have borked more and more CIFS features as the years have went by.

NormLamarre

Dabbler
Tks

Yes I have tried the ip address and still no go. Windows give's me the error : cannot access \\my.ip.address.here\my sharename. One thing bugs me. At first I was with earlier Freenas version and I was able to see the share and the prompts. Something happened I dont remember but anyway I moved to Freenas 9.3. thinking it would be better, got the proper eqpt, proper memory and proper hard drives (2 sata). Still nothing with windows 8.1. Why oh why dont I see the damn thing.
Tks again. I'll keep you posted on any progress I make.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You you ping the IP?

NormLamarre

Dabbler
Yes I just tried it and everything looks good. The system sent 4 and receive 4 with no loss.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you show us how you try to connect, the exact command or path you use. Any error message?

NormLamarre

Dabbler
Ok here are print screens. I really think there is something wrong with network. When I press '' Reseau '' Network in english in Windows Explorer I sometimes get an error msg and the above line where the (( \\192.168.0.102\Echange public )) is turns green and keeps searching till nothing. My windows is in french, I dont know if that is a problem with u guys.

Attachments

• 2016-03-30_114004.jpg
    2016-03-30_114004.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 247
  • 2016-03-30_114424.jpg
    2016-03-30_114424.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 229
  • 2016-03-30_120313.jpg
    2016-03-30_120313.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 242

NormLamarre

Dabbler
I changed the name of the setting in my CIFS share to '' Echange_public ''. still nothing. Same message.
I also tried disabling the firewall.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You should be able to just browse to \\ip.add.ress.NAS and it should list all your shares available.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I changed the name of the setting in my CIFS share to '' Echange_public ''. still nothing. Same message.
I also tried disabling the firewall.

Did you restart the CIFS service after making the change? Also disable the computer browser service on the 8.1 machine and stop it if it is already running.

NormLamarre

Dabbler
It really seems that the network portion of Windows 8.1 is corrupted. I tried disabbling it but to no avail. Should I move to Windows 10 hoping that everything will be ok?? !!!!

devnullius

Patron
I know the problems you describe. I always felt(!) that this was due to browser-master wars. They are usually solved with rebooting OR leaving 1 PC constantly on to make clear who's boss. In the old days, it could take up to a WEEK for windows computers to actually recognize and find others in the network. Only advice then was, during a week, keep trying to get access with \\IP-name, \\PC-Name. Send out a few pings once in a while from your 'blind' pc. Those old days were horrible, but I must say I haven't seen this horrible behaviour of waiting for a week since Win 7.

I did notice your problem, but they were usually solved by just waiting a bit and / or rebooting some machines and leaving 1 running (preferably shut down everything except your 'blind' client). Once it's boss and knows the other machines, they can all change roles fine when needed again.

Patience is key here... Let us know please if it sudden works once more. I've seen Win 8 clients go blind from one minute to another :s

Devnullius

PS: disabling firewalls, browser service & AV can't hurt either though I never disable the browser master role; they should get in sync and then all will be good :)

NormLamarre

Dabbler
Tks people, I will keep you posted on my problem. Strangely I today see FREENAS in Window explorer. mind you at occasions I saw it but when I try opening it. it freeze. As you also notice in network I have 127.0.0.1 and NORMAND-PC9. When I try opening the second one and trying opening a folder, it freezes.
!!!!!???????*****

Attachments

• 2016-04-02_120454.jpg
    2016-04-02_120454.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 2016-04-02_120931.jpg
    2016-04-02_120931.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 235

NormLamarre

Dabbler
Hi people

Still no joy but you will be surprised as I was when I tried Virtual box in a windows xp machine and I could see my shares !!!!. All that in my main machine, the same one that does not see my CIFS shares.
I am trying to get a free or cracked fr windows pro 8.1 64 bits iso that I could install in Virtual box. Can anyone tell me the best links for this.

Tks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi people

Still no joy but you will be surprised as I was when I tried Virtual box in a windows xp machine and I could see my shares !!!!. All that in my main machine, the same one that does not see my CIFS shares.
I am trying to get a free or cracked fr windows pro 8.1 64 bits iso that I could install in Virtual box. Can anyone tell me the best links for this.

Tks
You're asking for advice and links to pirating software? Come on.

NormLamarre

Dabbler
You've got it wrong, I am desperate I Have a legal windows 8.1 pro, I just wanted to see if the virtual machine will detect the cifs share in the virtual windows 8,1 machine. In reality the only thing I want is to to repair my network section of my LEGAL Windows 8.1 without reformating. Is there a way ??

Tks

Status
Not open for further replies.