Murmur (Mumble server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paleoN

Wizard

ThomasDK81

Dabbler
I tried with the PBI first, the files where added and the murmur user/group was created.
But dependencies where missing, I went hunting for the dependencies (qt4 etc.) and installed them via pkg_add -r
Permissions were all set to root, so had to find the different files murmur used (db, log, pid folder etc.) and chown them to murmur:murmur.

Perhaps the port were a better method, I don't know :)
But its working now.

First time you run murmur you set the Superuser password with .supw <password>
This isn't working for me, everything else is working fine.

Maybe someone finds this useful someday.

ThomasDK81

Dabbler
Well tried again also in a pluginjail with:
pkg install murmur
This installed it perfectly

- Setup guide ------------------------------------

Edit the settings in the .ini file here:
/usr/local/etc/murmur.ini

Set the SuperUser password:
/usr/local/sbin/murmurd -ini /usr/local/etc/murmur.ini -supw <yourpassword>

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add:
murmur_enable="YES"

Start the server:
service murmur start

Durandal

Explorer

Start the server:

Thanks for this post! Did these steps last night and it worked flawlessly. Someone should really add murmur to the official FreeNAS plugin list.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for this post! Did these steps last night and it worked flawlessly. Someone should really add murmur to the official FreeNAS plugin list.

Add it as an official FreeNAS plugin? All you did was 'pkg install' it, if we added every program you could install like this there would be hundreds to thousands of "official" FreeNAS plugins.

Durandal

Explorer
Add it as an official FreeNAS plugin? All you did was 'pkg install' it, if we added every program you could install like this there would be hundreds to thousands of "official" FreeNAS plugins.

I'm new to the FreeNAS world so i'm just very happy that i can install a bunch of plugins on my FreeBSD-based box. The plugins for pfsense are much more narrow for example. But from what i have understood, every PBI from the PC-BSD database is not 100% compatible with FreeNAS just out of the box? I guess every plugin that's available in the "plugins" section of the FreeNAS web interface is somewhat tested for compability, right? Who is deciding on what plugins should be in that list? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fill some information gaps that i have :smile:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm new to the FreeNAS world so i'm just very happy that i can install a bunch of plugins on my FreeBSD-based box. The plugins for pfsense are much more narrow for example. But from what i have understood, every PBI from the PC-BSD database is not 100% compatible with FreeNAS just out of the box? I guess every plugin that's available in the "plugins" section of the FreeNAS web interface is somewhat tested for compability, right? Who is deciding on what plugins should be in that list? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fill some information gaps that i have :)

On pfSense you could just install non-plugin software in a FreeBSD jail just like on FreeNAS (this is what I do at my family member's houses who don't need/want multiple servers). It's not ideal, but works well if your comfortable just working on the commandline.

I haven't messed with PBIs from PCBSD and don't see why I would choose that over a regular package.
Plugins (PBIs) in that list are packaged to somewhat integrate into the FreeNAS gui. No one decides on this list per-se, that's just all we got currently.

Durandal

Explorer
On pfSense you could just install non-plugin software in a FreeBSD jail just like on FreeNAS (this is what I do at my family member's houses who don't need/want multiple servers). It's not ideal, but works well if your comfortable just working on the commandline.

I haven't messed with PBIs from PCBSD and don't see why I would choose that over a regular package.
Plugins (PBIs) in that list are packaged to somewhat integrate into the FreeNAS gui. No one decides on this list per-se, that's just all we got currently.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if there's an list/site that lists all PBI:s? I thought most of the plugins available for FreeNAS was from PC-BSD but i guess not?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info! Do you know if there's an list/site that lists all PBI:s? I thought most of the plugins available for FreeNAS was from PC-BSD but i guess not?

There's pretty much the official ones you can get from the repo, and the ones I make. I don't know of anyone else currently making their own.

natethesakte

Cadet

Start the server:

Is there a specific user you need to use for the ini or something to get this working? I just spun up a fresh jail and installed murmur but when I try to start the service I get:
ServerDB: Database driver QSQLITE not available

Running FreeNAS 9.7.1.7, any help is appreciated.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is there a specific user you need to use for the ini or something to get this working? I just spun up a fresh jail and installed murmur but when I try to start the service I get:

Running FreeNAS 9.7.1.7, any help is appreciated.
I don't think that is a permission/user problem. usually permissions of a config file aren't a problem, as long as it is world readable. XX(4+)

natethesakte

Cadet
I don't think that is a permission/user problem. usually permissions of a config file aren't a problem, as long as it is world readable. XX(4+)
The reason I was thinking permissions is because the message I got when trying to set the superuser password:

root@murmur:/ # /usr/local/sbin/murmurd -ini /usr/local/etc/murmur.ini -supw *********
<W>2014-09-04 16:31:12.898 Initializing settings from /usr/local/etc/murmur.ini (basepath /usr/local/etc)
<W>2014-09-04 16:31:12.898 Binding to address 0.0.0.0
<W>2014-09-04 16:31:12.899 OpenSSL: OpenSSL 0.9.8y 5 Feb 2013
<C>2014-09-04 16:31:12.899 WARNING: You are running murmurd as root, without setting a uname in the ini file. This might be a security risk.
<F>2014-09-04 16:31:12.915 ServerDB: Database driver QSQLITE not available
root@murmur:/ #

I tried adding murmur as the uname in the ini file but still get the message about root.

Thanks.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
hmm, not sure. I setup murmur instance the other day by just 'pkg add murmur', and starting the service. but im on 9.2.1.6 so maybe some dependency changed in the jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
hmm install looks good. weird it says your using root, by default the init script is supposed to use the murmur user

boostman

Cadet
I also get this error when trying to start Murmur

Starting murmur.

I'm on 9.2.1.7 using a pluginjail with vanilla checked.

Any ideas?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
maybe try 'pkg install sqlite3' or possibly even py27-sqlite3? I'm not sure what method murmur uses to call sqlite, but I know there were some issues with this.

also i never mess with the vanilla or vimage setting, I just leave them alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.