Status
Not open for further replies.

Starblazer

Cadet
Yeah sorry I should have mentioned this has been done:
portforwarding.png

The IP address should be correct for the murmur jail too:
murmur-jail.png

Is it possible that the NAS or the murmur jail itself is blocking the connections coming in? Not sure how to tell were the breakdown is.
I'll do some more googling - just thought I would check in here to see if there are any immediate places to start looking.

Starblazer

Cadet
OMG I'm an idiot... Thought I was testing external IP connection from outside my local network but the VPN not on. When VPN activated, could connect just fine.
:oops:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah, the only remaining problem I see, is that you can't spell "murmur". ;) Check out your jail name. A jail, once named, is quite difficult to change the name, though, so I think you're more or less stuck with that, unless you start over.

Also, you are confusing me a bit. I think you might (?) be using jargon incorrectly. VPN? I don't see a VPN. Your screen shot looks like it's one of the cheaper TP-link routers, and they use the wording "virtual server" but that's really just unfortunate phrasing for "port forwarding" and has nothing to with virtual anythings. By "turn on the VPN", what do you mean exactly? Or, in fact, are you actually using a VPN? If so, why, and which one? Mumble is always fully-encrypted to the bejesus belt with AES on all packets, so a VPN will not add much to the situation except making it more difficult for other to connect to your Mumble server.

Starblazer

Cadet
Nuts - you're right. I don't think there's any way that I can continue using the Murmur server knowing the jail name has a typo in it. ;)

The VPN is not on my FreeNAS but on my normal PC. I wouldn't use Mumble with the VPN active normally though. I turned it on so that connections from my PC would come from outside my network so that I could simulate connecting to the Murmur server from an outside device. Before it was turned on I was trying to connect to the external IP address (i.e. my ADSL router's external IP) from within my local network and that was generating the connection refused.

I didn't know all that about Mumble though - that's good to know.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Nuts - you're right. I don't think there's any way that I can continue using the Murmur server knowing the jail name has a typo in it. ;)

The VPN is not on my FreeNAS but on my normal PC. I wouldn't use Mumble with the VPN active normally though. I turned it on so that connections from my PC would come from outside my network so that I could simulate connecting to the Murmur server from an outside device. Before it was turned on I was trying to connect to the external IP address (i.e. my ADSL router's external IP) from within my local network and that was generating the connection refused.

I didn't know all that about Mumble though - that's good to know.
I didn't mean to imply you were an idiot. It's sometimes hard to gauge users---we get a large (la-a-a-a-arge) number of people in the forum that vastly over-estimate how much they know. You appear to know what you're doing. Good luck sir. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

rodofrn

Contributor
Hello Dr. KK,

First of all, awesome guide making skill, I followed the YouTube video every step of the way and it was fairly easy to understand and complete all tasks. The only problem I have now is that when I log into the mumble server, it logs me as the "root" user, not as the name I provide in the "Username" field in the Edit Server Settings window. How can I fix this? Is there a way?
I can start the service, log into mumble, stop the service, all of that. It's just that one piece that is missing.
Please help me. Again, thanks for the guide and the thorough explanation.
vFsoNPb.png

Attachments

• mumble.png
    mumble.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 457
  • mumble.png
    mumble.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 420
  • mumble.png
    mumble.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 426
  • mumble.png
    mumble.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 432

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hello Dr. KK,

First of all, awesome guide making skill, I followed the YouTube video every step of the way and it was fairly easy to understand and complete all tasks. The only problem I have now is that when I log into the mumble server, it logs me as the "root" user, not as the name I provide in the "Username" field in the Edit Server Settings window. How can I fix this? Is there a way?
I can start the service, log into mumble, stop the service, all of that. It's just that one piece that is missing.
Please help me. Again, thanks for the guide and the thorough explanation.
The only logical explanation I have is this: One you "register" a certificate with the server, that certificate is permanently associated to the username it had upon registration, regardless of what you put in the field. If your name was "root" and the certificate was "registered", that could be the problem. There is no other reason I can think of that it would not accept a name like "Toothache".

rodofrn

Contributor
That is EXACTLY what happend. Now that i remember it, how do I fix it? Thanks for the quick reply.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That is EXACTLY what happend. Now that i remember it, how do I fix it? Thanks for the quick reply.
Well, you could log in as a privileged user (SuperUser, or if you made your "root" guy a privileged user), then you have a Server->Registered Users menu, you can highlight the certificate for "root", and blow it away. And then try again with the correct username and register it again.

Or, if you just want to start totally fresh, blow away the database. It's probably in /var/db/murmur/murmur.sqlite

rodofrn

Contributor
You my friend, are a god among man..!! Thank you so much. Easy as that. I did the Server->Registered Users->Remove "root"->and GG.
Thanks again for the guide. Take care.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You my friend, are a god among man..!! Thank you so much. Easy as that. I did the Server->Registered Users->Remove "root"->and GG.
Thanks again for the guide. Take care.
It is my pleasure to assist you sir.

Yatti420

Wizard
It works.. I've used it alongside an upgrade TS3 for awhile now.. Just can't get the quality for music.. Not sure why TS3 is so dominant here.. It's like they skip opus "music" entirely.. I get it's probably just settings but wow.. It's a noticeable difference between the two..

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It works.. I've used it alongside an upgrade TS3 for awhile now.. Just can't get the quality for music.. Not sure why TS3 is so dominant here.. It's like they skip opus "music" entirely.. I get it's probably just settings but wow.. It's a noticeable difference between the two..
I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying Mumble's Opus implementation sucks for music compared to what's in TS3? (If that's what you're saying, that is, of course, debunkable with science, and I will be happy to do so, lol)

Yatti420

Wizard
I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying Mumble's Opus implementation sucks for music compared to what's in TS3? (If that's what you're saying, that is, of course, debunkable with science, and I will be happy to do so, lol)
Sorry was away.. Yes exactly.. Typically I would have a channel/room/etc setup for music.. Via TS3 the channel is configured using opus "music" settings and max quality.. Using mumble I just can't get it to equal that full rich sound..

No matter what I do.. It's like mumble has no such thing for music.. If you know of a way to change the proper settings via Mumble let me know.. This might be the only place where TS3 dominates.. Both can use it though as you say its OPUS codec for both programs..

If you strictly want voice then Mumble is a great solution..

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, if you've set the slider in the config for max bandwidth (128 kbps I believe) in Mumble, then that's about all I can suggest. Mumble has AGC and other front-end filters on the audio which may preclude optimal music usage in exchange for optimizing the voice.

Also, sir, something to think about, the server config comes out of the box ***NOT PERMITTING HIGH OPUS BANDWIDTHS*** in murmur.ini. You have to physically go in there and up the allowable bandwidth for the server to accept 128kbps/max OPUS. From the murmur.ini file:

Code:

# Maximum bandwidth (in bits per second) clients are allowed
# to send speech at.
bandwidth=128000

I believe the default is half that, roughly, which certainly will make music sound like shit.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
My server of course is configured for max bandwidth, if you want to give it a try.

drkk.kicks-ass.org, default mumble port. 64738 or whatever.

You might catch Cyberjock or me or one of the other guys on there.

rodofrn

Contributor
My server of course is configured for max bandwidth, if you want to give it a try.

drkk.kicks-ass.org, default mumble port. 64738 or whatever.

You might catch Cyberjock or me or one of the other guys on there.
Hi DrKK, im in the mumble, can I ask you a quick question? about SSL and owncloud.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hi DrKK, im in the mumble, can I ask you a quick question? about SSL and owncloud.
If I'm sitting at the computer/available, I'm in the Mumble. And vice versa. Usually in there in the after-dinner hours, US Eastern time.

Yatti420

Wizard
Exactly.. Mumble is actually optimized for voice only. Cannot do music to the quality of TS3.. The bandwidth setting is applicable in both clients.. That's not the issue.. It's just the way each channel configures the codec.. TS3 allows a "Music" like setup. Best of luck to all.

KenNashua

Explorer
[QUOTE="I've condensed it into 1 image too. I made a reference for myself. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I've tried the approach outlined in post #46 with Freenas 11.1 by creating a new standard jail, but running in to an error starting up murmur.

Some quick googling seems to imply its a mismatch on libraries installed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Code:
root@murmur:/ # service murmur onestart
Starting murmur.
/usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.0: Undefined symbol "fdatasync"
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/murmur: WARNING: failed to start murmur

Status
Not open for further replies.