Multiple MiniDLNA Instances Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianDMG

Explorer
So, perhaps I'm misunderstanding something fundamental about MiniDLNA (in which case feel free to heap noobie shame on me), but is it not possible to run multiple instances and have them all show up on the client device?

Here's the run-down: My video library is getting unwieldy. Up until now, I've had all of them under one instance of MiniDLNA - which takes forever to rescan every time I turn the plugin off/on. The idea now is that I'd like to have a seperate plugin for "Unwatched", "Movies", and "TV Shows" so that I can restart/rescan them individually, which would take less time than rescanning the whole library.

The problem I'm running into is that they all seem to 'overlap' each other (I've tried multiple client types, including XBOX 360 and an Android client), and the result is that I get one potential stream that is, typically, named one thing but displays the contents of something else (i.e. shows as Movies but the contents are TV Shows).

My storage setup is similar to "/mnt/disk/media/movies" -> "/media/movies" and "/mnt/disk/media/tv" -> "/media/tv". They are, of course, all running on seperate IP addresses, etc.

Is this just a limitation of the plugin, or am I doing it wrong (or both)? Thanks in advance for schooling my sorry ass (I did Google this, to no avail, by the way).

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe you should give Plex a try. Plex, besides being an advanced media server also will stream DLNA and I believe the media library scan is reasonable.

As for MiniDLNA, for the examples given above I assume you are setting up one plugin as: Friendly Name: TV, Media Directory "/media/tv" and the Movies as Friendly Name: Movies, Media Directory "/media/movies", and of course different IP addresses. The way I would expect this setup to operate is if you selected the TV DLNA service that you would only have the content from "/media/tv" listed, although it would list it as Video or Movies depending on your client. Does that make sense?

BrianDMG

Explorer
Yeah, that makes perfect sense because that's exactly what it's doing. It seems like it shows the friendly name of the last plugin I turned on, while showing the content of the first plugin I turned on. I'm not a coder/developer, so I have no idea why this is the case (as opposed to multiple entries for multiple plugins). I basically asked here just to make sure there wasn't some trick I was missing out on.

I do have Plex installed and configured, but I have typically only been using it for external streaming. I forget what I didn't like about its DLNA, but there is some reason I don't use it all the time (sorry, it's early and I haven't had my gallon of coffee yet, so I'm having a hard time recalling why I didn't like it). You're correct that it has a much better scan rate, and will actually update itself on its own, which is definitely nice.

It's not a huge deal if I can't do what I want with MiniDLNA, but it would have been nice to have that extra little bit of control. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure why it doesn't work properly since it should be separate jails.

BrianDMG

Explorer
That was my thought on it, as well. If you think of anything, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.