SOLVED moving my FreeNAS HDD to new system as my motherboard died

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtRaj

Cadet
Hi,
I was having a FreeNAS 9.3 box on a intel system. It was a intel dual core system with 4 gb ram. motherboard was Asus H110.
I had two volumes setup. Primary one had three 4tb HDD combined in to it making available 8tb of storage. 2nd was just another volume with just one drive.
today two things happened. first system was not booting. the system was stuck at the first boot screen showing ASUS logo. i could not even get into bios. basically my motherboard seems to be gone. now it did boot once for a single time. so when i looked through the browser gui one of the drives in the volume 1 was unavailable and status of the volume had updated to degraded. also there were only 3 HDD being shown on the list. 4th one was missing. the defective HDD was from the primary volume. volume was intact as i was able to access it. at this point i understand the HDD was to be replaced.
So my assumption was that some connection might be loose. so dusted the system reconnected all the wires. and restarted the system. It never booted again. so i am sending the motherboard for replacement.

But meanwhile how do I migrate the current drives to a new system. I have a backup system with intel I3, asus h110 motherboard and 4 gb ram. Is there a step by step process I can follow to migrate the HDD to new system. I am new to FreeNAS. your help would be really appreciated as i have really important files stuck in that volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
But meanwhile how do i migrate the current drives to a new system.
Simply move them over, along with the boot device. If you've manually configured a network interface on the old motherboard, you may need to reconfigure that on the new one; you can do that from the console menu.

Be aware that neither your old system nor your replacement is anywhere close to meeting the minimum system requirements for FreeNAS, specifically RAM--8 GB is the MINIMUM for the system.

SgtRaj

Cadet
Thank you for your response.
so i have setup a new system. i put in the 3 hdd and the pendrive with the OS. when i boot the pendrive i am getting this error (check image)
dont know why i am getting this error.

I also tried to create a new bootable pen drive. using win32diskimager i wrote the iso on the pendrive. then when i am booting using the pendrive in the same new computer, again i am getting this error (refer image error 2).
Please let me know what this error about?

Attachments

• error.jpeg
    error.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 487
  • error 2.jpeg
    error 2.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 459
Last edited by a moderator:

SgtRaj

Cadet
Hi, I got it to run finally. Its simple. but the usb ports in the new system were the issue. I still dont know why. probably i will have to figure out the bios settings. meanwhile i shifted the pendrive and the hdd to a 3rd system and was able to easily boot. now i have replaced the dead hdd and initiated the re silvering. Thanks for help

Status
Not open for further replies.