Shifting Disks To New Hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YashP97

Cadet
So As You Can Read My Title, I Want To Shift My Current FreeNAS 11.2 BETA3 System To New Hardware. I'm Writing All Specs Below.

Current FreeNAS:

Processor: Intel G3260
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33
HDDs: 1x Seagate 160GB SATA2 (OS)
2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 (RAID1/Mirror)

New System:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3 2x8GB
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0

So Can I Just Shift My HDDs And It Will Work?

Also I'm Using Sata Ports on Motherboard, Which Are only 4. Suggest Me A Good SATA Expansion Card & Suggest Me Good NAS HDD.

Sorry If I Make Mistake, Posting For First Time :)

So Can I Just Shift My HDDs And It Will Work?

Yes. It should work just fine. The most likely problem will be having to reconfigure your network interface but that's not a big deal.

Of note, with just 1TB of storage, your original machine will be just as fast as the new machine. Both machines are capable of saturating a 1G network connection. Not much reason to upgrade unless you are looking to add a lot of storage. And, even then, with just a few users, I'm not sure you'll see a performance improvement.

Any HBA with an LSI chipset is fine to add more SAS/SATA ports as well as most others. Just make sure it's a dumb HBA and not a hardware RAID controller.

Cheers,
Matt

YashP97

Cadet
Yes. It should work just fine. The most likely problem will be having to reconfigure your network interface but that's not a big deal.

Of note, with just 1TB of storage, your original machine will be just as fast as the new machine. Both machines are capable of saturating a 1G network connection. Not much reason to upgrade unless you are looking to add a lot of storage. And, even then, with just a few users, I'm not sure you'll see a performance improvement.

Any HBA with an LSI chipset is fine to add more SAS/SATA ports as well as most others. Just make sure it's a dumb HBA and not a hardware RAID controller.

Cheers,
Matt

Thank You For Your Reply, I'm Planning To Add Two 4TB HDDs In RAID1. Nothing More Than That. So Will My G2360 System Work Good With That? After Seeing Bhyve Performance And Issues I'm Actually Planning To Use i7 System With Proxmox & VM Storage on Current FreeNAS System.

So Will My G2360 System Work Good With That? After Seeing Bhyve Performance

If you're just using FreeNAS to serve files, the G3260 has more than enough power. As an added bonus, the G3260 support ECC RAM (which you should be using with FreeNAS) while the i7-4790 does not.

On the other hand, if you're going to be hosting VMs on your FreeNAS server (and not just using FreeNAS for VM storage), you may need the additional processing power.

Cheers,
Matt

YashP97

Cadet
If you're just using FreeNAS to serve files, the G3260 has more than enough power. As an added bonus, the G3260 support ECC RAM (which you should be using with FreeNAS) while the i7-4790 does not.

On the other hand, if you're going to be hosting VMs on your FreeNAS server (and not just using FreeNAS for VM storage), you may need the additional processing power.

Cheers,
Matt

Thank You :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Current FreeNAS:

Processor: Intel G3260
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33
HDDs: 1x Seagate 160GB SATA2 (OS)
2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 (RAID1/Mirror)

New System:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3 2x8GB
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0
Why do you want to make this change.
I am guessing this is hardware you already have because it is not what you should buy if you are purchasing for a FreeNAS system.
After Seeing Bhyve Performance And Issues I'm Actually Planning To Use i7 System With Proxmox & VM Storage on Current FreeNAS System.
Trying to host VMs on FreeNAS is a whole other thing than just serving files. Perhaps you should start by having a plan of what you want to do, express that to us, then we can make some suggestions for what would be a good solution. The thing you are talking about will likely have poor performance.
Also I'm Using Sata Ports on Motherboard, Which Are only 4. Suggest Me A Good SATA Expansion Card
It is my opinion that the best thing to use for drives in FreeNAS is a SAS controller which will work with SATA drives perfectly well and is generally more reliable than some of the very inexpensive SATA controllers that are available.

Drive Controller: SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA LSI 9207-8i P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID - - US $69.55
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162862201664

Drive Cables: Mini SAS to 4-SATA SFF-8087 Multi-Lane Forward Breakout Internal Cable - - US $12.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371681252206
& Suggest Me Good NAS HDD.
Hard drives, if you want to host virtualization on your FreeNAS system, it might be better to have eight 2 TB drives, setup in four mirrored pairs, to give you greater IOPS instead of having a single pair of larger drives. The larger quantity of drives enhances performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.