Moving FreeNAS to a new box

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaga

Cadet
Hello
Looking for recommendations
I have a standard desktop amd quad core CPU, currently as my FreeNAS box
Looking to move everything to a Dell 2970. More RAM better performance ?
Questions:
The Dell server will have 2.5" hard drives, my current hard drives are 3.5, so all data will have to be copied.
Should I use the on board raid on the dell server ?
Creating VM's still not a good idea ?
Best practice for doing this ? Back up old box ? Restore to new box ?
Old box is on USB stick
Everything works great except I could not get PLEX to work, and network speeds are bad for data transfer, streaming is always good. CAT 6 throughout with gig switches. Switch to Intel NIC ?
Looking for advice Thanks !

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Looking to move everything to a Dell 2970. More RAM better performance ?
Yes, looks like that system tops out at 64 GB. But that should be fine; if you are not looking to run tons of VMs.

The Dell server will have 2.5" hard drives, my current hard drives are 3.5, so all data will have to be copied.
Yep

Should I use the on board raid on the dell server ?
No RAID Controllers... Ever. But, let us know exactly what it is in there and perhaps it is a model that can be flashed to IT Mode HBA (Like a H200)

Creating VM's still not a good idea ?
How many we talking?

Best practice for doing this ? Back up old box ? Restore to new box ?
Sounds reasonable to me, but other more experienced members may be able to add to this.

Old box is on USB stick
K.

Everything works great except I could not get PLEX to work, and network speeds are bad for data transfer, streaming is always good. CAT 6 throughout with gig switches. Switch to Intel NIC ?
The Server has dual Broadcom NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit3 Ethernet NICs. I am guessing you should be fine, but don't use them myself (my Servers have Intel's built it). Maybe others will chime in.

galaga

Cadet
Thanks
Another question my nas died tonight is there a way to get the data off it ?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What does 'my nas died' mean? HDD failed, motherboard failed, USB failed?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
To get your data just boot the system with a freenas install and import the pool using the gui. Your data will be there.

galaga

Cadet
To get your data just boot the system with a freenas install and import the pool using the gui. Your data will be there.
Ok thanks
What are you thoughts on an hp proliant 180 g6 ? Any idea if that raid can be flashed to IT mode hba ?

Status
Not open for further replies.