Moving FreeNAS OS from USB Stick to HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapper

Dabbler
Hey all.

I'm looking to move the FreeNAS OS from a USB Memory stick to an actual HDD in the box for reliability reasons and peace of mind. I've had one crash in the first month from a USB stick (Lexar 16 GB) and feel for my purposes an HDD will suit me better and let my mind rest knowing I'm not going to have to worry about the USB stick crashing again. I've got a spare 160 GB HDD sitting here and 11 spare SATA ports on my MOBO so i'm not worried about taking up space in the box right now.

Can this be done? Is it as simple as backing up the FreeNAS config file, re-installing FreeNAS on the new HDD and then uploading the backed up Config file on the new OS install?

Cheers,

Sapper.

ProtoSD

MVP
Is it as simple as backing up the FreeNAS config file, re-installing FreeNAS on the new HDD and then uploading the backed up Config file on the new OS install?

Cheers,

Sapper.

That should be all you need to do. Just keep in mind you can't repartition the drive or use the remaining space for anything else.

sapper

Dabbler
Good to know. I'm currently backing up the data that on the drives for the re-install.

This wont in any away affect (or shouldn't affect) the current RAID setup should it? If I disconnect all the data drives, install FreeNAS on the new drive, upload the config file, and restart with all the data drives now connected the data should remain intact?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Make sure to do a quick search on the forums and read through the manual. It can really help.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also, as my first post, I'd like to agree with sapper on his opinion of the moderation on this board. 99% of the responses from cyberjock are condescending and patronizing.

You forgot informative.

Waco

Explorer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Waco

Explorer
If you say so. I respect that he probably has a lot of knowledge locked away in his head but the holier-than-thou attitude is not befitting of a public relations role.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is there some reason we are necro-ing a 21 month old thread to bitch about how moderation was handled almost 2 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.