Can't boot USB memory stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntbeerman

Cadet
Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeNAS 9.1 on a Packard Bell Imedia S2870 PC, but I can't get the USB drive to boot, I just get a message saying no boot drive. The PC came with Windows 8 on it, I put in a new HDD to be the data storage area and want to use the USB drive to boot.

I tried the USB stick in another PC, and it booted to FreeNAS just fine, so I know the image is on there OK.

I guess this isn't really a FreeNAS question, as such, but more about why the system won't boot to a USB drive. I've turned off Secure Boot, checked that the USB drive is in Hard Drive emulation mode, the boot order is Removable Storage, then CD, then Hard Drive.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Thanks in anticipation.

ntbeerman

Cadet
Hello again

I'm replying to myself here, in case it helps anyone else who looks through here. I've managed to get this working, I had to do two things. First I downloaded PloP boot manager, curned the .ISO to a CD and tried to boot that. It didn't work until I enabled the CSM mode in the BIOS screen - which is something to do with supporting the old BIOS boot method.

Once I had CSM turned on, I got PloP installed on the system, and now I can boot to the memory stick.

Now I'm trying to get my head round the concepts of ZFS and all the new terminology - being a purely Windows user until now.

All the best

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Check out the presentation I wrote(link in the sig). That should clarify ALOT of your confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.