WOL vs Normal USB-stick boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scareh

Contributor
I'm using the latest version off FreeNAS
Running on old pc with 1.2Gig of ram
When i normal boot the PC it runs smoothly, shares work, the entire FreeNAS works perfect.
(Normal boot means booting with start-up button)

Now I'm trying to get the WOL option to work. I'm using : http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx to sent the magic packet.
Using port 32767, it's forwarded in my router aswell. When i do the tcpdump option in the freeNAS shell, i see the packet arriving.

Now when i sent the packet something strange happens. The pc boots bit gives the following error: "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot sustem. System halted."

Now after some googling I determined it was the boot order that was wrong (however it boots fine with normal bootprocedure)
I have 3 disks:

IDE 40 Gig
2 sata Disk 80/250Gig

In bios the boot order is like this:

USB Device First
Hard Drive (C: ) DISABLE
Broadcom Ethernet controller DISABLE

if needed i can upload pictures off my bios settings.

Hostname freenas.local
Build FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r11950)
Platform Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 1259MB

Any suggestions on how I can let the pc boot from USB when using WOL?

thanks allready ^^

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like when you use WOL the motherboard will not use USB devices to boot. I've seen that error before and I believe that happens when the system tries to boot from a hard drive instead of a USB drive. I'd look and see if you have a BIOS update that may fix the issue or try using a hard drive for the FreeNAS boot disk.

Scareh

Contributor
my motherboard bios was at 1.1.
Hp D530 SFF.
I upgraded it to 2.44 (which is the last version atm)

The problem is still present unfortunately.
Any other suggestions on this topic?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It really sounds like your motherboard tries to boot from a hard disk instead of USB when you use WOL. Some manufacturers do that because they assume nobody would use WOL along with booting from a USB.

You have 2 option(at least, in my opinion):

1. Get a different motherboard.
2. Install FreeNAS to an internal hard drive and make it your boot device.

chiraldude

Cadet
Ugh! Not the answer I was looking for. I have a HP DC7900, latest BIOS version and have the same issue. Even disabled hard disk boot in bios and it still tries to boot from the SATA disk.
I have a free e-SATA port so maybe I can transfer FreeNAS to a spare hard disk.
Or, just forget about WOL? The idea was to save money on electricity by waking up the NAS when it is time to run a backup job. The other thought was that the backups were safe from ransomware with the server turned off but maybe snapshots will accomplish a similar function. And/or I can run backups via FTP and disable SMB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.