Mount error 19 (and another one...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puz

Dabbler
Hey folks,

Just joined the forum last night. Had my eyes on freenas for a while. Now I'm trying to make it happen. I'm coming across the notorious mount error 19 during a clean install via usb and need some help.

Here is my system information.

1 Corsair CX Series CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply
1 WD Red 3TB Intellipower SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (NAS) WD30EFRX
1 WD Red 3TB Intellipower SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (NAS) WD30EFRX

1 Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor (Skylake)
1 Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB(2x8) DDR4-2666 (PC4-21300) C16 Dual Channel
1 Gigabyte GA-Z170N-GAMING/USB3.1 LGA 1151 mATX Intel Motherboard

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

-usb stick 2.0 and usb 3.0
-usb ports 1.0(used the internal usb headers on the motherboard) and 3.0
-burned bootable freenas media using several 3rd party burn/imaging tools, win32imager, rufus
-reviewed BIOS settings, do not have the option of disabling xHCI/USB 3.0, but do in fact have an option for usb mass storage, usb legacy support, and usb hand off. I have tried all of those to no avail.

There is a thread about how someone built a vm for freenas, added the xhci YES attribute, and then dumped the OS on a flash drive. I'm not sure if that is a plausible situation, but I'd prefer to get a clean install to get into less issues down the road since this will be holding all my crucial data plus more.

The usb 1.0 ports that I took from a usb front bus on an old desktop might have other constraints, I can always spend a few bucks and get a pcie usb 2.0 card adapter if that might do the trick...

Lastly, if I knew freenas had such hardware restrictions, I would have followed others footsteps on parts. Oh well.

Any help will be appreciated, want to get this rig up and running by tonight! Thanks in advance.

solarisguy

Guru
Whether a USB memory device is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 or USB 3.1, that does not matter at all.

You should use USB 2.0 port. Did you look through your BIOS settings, whether there is a chance of making at least some ports behaving like USB 2.0 ?

puz

Dabbler
Okay, well the usb controller that I connected to the usb header on the motherboard has usb 1.0 ports. I can get a pcie card with usb 2.0 ports tonight and try again.

For the BIOS, what I mentioned above is all that was relevant to usb setting. (usb mass storage, legacy support, hand off)

Any other ideas?

puz

Dabbler
I burned the 9.3 iso which is what is the current version. I'm going to try 10.x and maybe some older versions to see if that makes a difference. But I don't know how I can get a definite answer on what might be causing this issue. Any commands or logs to further analyze the situation?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your hardware is completely wrong for freenas. You spent lots of money that is worthless for running freenas. If you never get this working it's because you have gaming hardware and not nas/server hardware.

puz

Dabbler
Other than the RAM that i will be changing to ecc memory, cpu usage isn't as important in freenas, where memory is. It should be fine, it's was the best I could work with at a local shop and yet get my best bang for my buck.

On the other hand, I installed a pcie usb 2.0 card, and that also did not work. Any other suggestions?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Neither your CPU nor your motherboard support ECC RAM. Sure, you can swap out the DIMMs for ECC ones, but your system won't use ECC on them.

puz

Dabbler
I know the board does, but I just saw that the cpu doesn't. We'll see what I do. Some say non-ecc isn't so bad, but I'm new in the freebsd/freenas culture, so we'll see.

I should've check myself, rather than ask a sales/tech rep if there was ecc support. Too bad.

Anyway, help resolving the install of freenas would be helpful.

solarisguy

Guru
[...] On the other hand, I installed a pcie usb 2.0 card, and that also did not work. Any other suggestions?
Could you please tell us more?
  • Did you boot from USB (2.0 or 3.x?) or CD?
  • Can FreeNAS installation see USB memory devices if they are plugged into USB 2.0 ports?
  • Are there any BIOS settings for the USB 2.0 card, you had added to the system?
  • What is the error message?
  • Did you try with a different FreeNAS release? Say the last 9.3 before 9.3.1, or 9.2.1.9?
  • Etc.

solarisguy

Guru
[...] Some say non-ECC isn't so bad [...]
Beyond the ECC advantages you can easily read about (and I hope you do not think that people and companies spend more on ECC, to only get more bragging points), there is the following:

ZFS by design is trusting RAM. Certain RAM errors would be undetected by a non-ECC RAM and during a scrub would manifest by erasing your entire storage.

Moral of the story? Yes, you can use any RAM, as long as you do not have problems with it. And not at the beginning! Later, after some time... (when you have enough of stored files to feel their loss).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's hard for me to not come off as a jerk here to the OP.

But let's just say, my jaw is really dropping here. I can't imagine that someone that's been thinking about a FreeNAS for a while hasn't read enough of the docs and/or forum and/or whatever to not know that this was a clinic in how not to choose hardware for FreeNAS.

Is returning this ridiculously inappropriate motherboard, CPU, and RAM a possibility? This is not salvageable. You can spend *HALF* of this amount and get something ten times more appropriate for FreeNAS.

puz

Dabbler
Lol, rest assured, I have noted my mistake.

On a good note, I have successfully booted freenas with 10.x alpha.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Lol, rest assured, I have noted my mistake.

On a good note, I have successfully booted freenas with 10.x alpha.
Curious. 10 boots, but 9.3 does not? That is the claim?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Correct, that is the fact.
Fascinating. I can think of no obvious mechanism that would cause something to boot in 10, but not 9.3, unless something is wrong with hardware.

Perhaps someone else with an insight will weigh in.

puz

Dabbler
Unfortunately I am of little help. Keep this threading going to see if there is a difference and why.

solarisguy

Guru
Fascinating. I can think of no obvious mechanism that would cause something to boot in 10, but not 9.3, unless something is wrong with hardware.

Perhaps someone else with an insight will weigh in.
FreeBSD 10.x (I do not know the value of x) has better support for some modern chipsets than any FreeBSD 9, and that includes better USB support (=read some support, as opposed to not seeing the hardware.)

Curiously, https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/hardware.html does not include a word about https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=xhci (USB 3.0 driver). Must be that real programmers are supposed to read the source code...

solarisguy

Guru
A fresh post lifted from a different thread about FreeNAS 10 ALPHA
Please try now - USB 3.0 support has just been added back in and should be in the last 3 or so nightlies!

- Jordan
P.S. Click to get to the other thread...

puz

Dabbler
Nice, that's explains it.

I've been busy with other things in life, and tongiht had a chance to spend some time on my freenas box. I noticed that im repeatedly getting an error 49.

The exact message is, mDNSResonpder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP got error 49 (Can't assign requested address)

This happens over and over again. I can pick the ip assigned to the freenas but cant http to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.