Unable to install to/from usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oyvind

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I have been spending the last few days searching and trying everything to install FreeNAS.

First i tried to install it using two usb sticks. No matter what i did or tried, it always failed with mount error 19. Tried different slots and delaying the installers boot squence. Nothing worked.

I managed to get a spare dvd drive and tried to install it from a dvd to a usb stick, no luck. This time though i could get to the installer, but the usb drive did not show up when picking where to install to. It shows up fine in bios.

Am i stuck having to install it on a hdd or is there something i could try?

Things ive tried:
using "set debug.acpi.disabled="hostres"" in the boot squence
using "set kFreeBSD.kern.cam.boot_delay="50000"" in the boot squence
using usb 3.0 and 2.0 stick in usb 2.0 port
disable "xhci hand-off" in bios

Hardware:
MSI B150M Mortar, Socket-1151
Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake
HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB kit
WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive
usb 3.0 sandisk 16gb
usb 2.0 sandisk 32gb

solarisguy

Guru
I am afraid that your motherboard and FreeNAS 9.3.1 are not compatible yet.

Please read https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/skylake-caveats.39669/ for the explanation.

And yes, you would have to use SATA DOM or SSD.

However, please also read the official Intel information on your processor
http://ark.intel.com/products/88185/Intel-Core-i5-6400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
Your processor does not support ECC RAM!

Most people in the forum (including me) would suggest that you should return your motherboard & CPU!

While on the Intel page, in the line that says ECC Memory Supported ‡ there is a magnifying glass, click it, it will take you to a search where you can easily find a processor with ECC (none of 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors have ECC...).

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I agree I hope you didn't just buy this for freenas. If you did return everything because it's not good hardware for freenas.

Oyvind

Dabbler
Hmm, i did buy it for freenas. In my defence i bought it at black friday sale, had little time to decide and im a bit cheap at times.

Im returning most parts, though keeping the psu and the hdd. Thinking about going for Asrock E3C224D4I-14S with a Xeon cpu and some ddr3 ecc ram. Any objections about that choice?

solarisguy

Guru
@Oyvind, E3C224D4I-14S looks OK (I have no personal experience), just read comments from Newegg or other places, so you know what to test upon receiving it. And most importantly, would it fit your case?

Oyvind

Dabbler
It would probably not fit my case, but as it was something i had lying around i think i will buy a new case too. One that can fit a bit more hdd's (current one can barely fit 3, 2 if i was to fit them properly).

lneib

Dabbler
I do not know if this is your problem, but I have had issues with Scandisk USB sticks as my boot drive, I was getting all sorts of weird issues during install. I changed to a Patriot Memory USB stick and never had an issue. I bought the Scandisk USB stick from Amazon. It was a 16GB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.