11.2-U1 Install failed multiple times, middlewared error

Benceking24

Cadet
I tried to install a fresh clean version of the official 11.2-RLEASE-U1 but ended up reinstalling 4 times and still can't install it properly without errors under a decent time. I made an USB image with Rufus to a USB 2.0 16gb drive and then booted it. I started the install with the USB 3.0 drive selected as destination for system storage and boot with BIOS after that (i tried the UEFI option didn't helped). Finally last time i was able to log in on the website and turn on SSH and copy all the log files but it was really really slow. (it was a minute to get the prompt after entering the password via ssh). Also did reset all the bios settings and tried to turn off CPU C-state and Intel speedstep. Bios version is the latest.

The install process took 55 minutes. The first boot after that took half an hour and i got a lot of error in connection with middlewared.

(messages, debug.log and middlewared.log attached)

My setup:
Motherboard: Asus prime b250m-k
CPU: Intel i3-7100
Memory: HyperX 8GB Fury DDR4 2400MHz CL15
Main storage: 2x WD Red 4TB 3.5" 5400rpm 64MB
Boot storage: Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G2 3.0 16GB
PSU: Coolermaster MasterWatt Lite 400W
UPS: Eaton 5E650iUSBDIN 650VA

Attachments

• middlewared.txt
    13 KB · Views: 675
  • messages.txt
    44 KB · Views: 486
  • debug.txt
    26.8 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Benceking24

Cadet
Found the problem! It was a dead slow USB! I don't even know if it was that i used a usb 3.1 port or the usb 3.0 pendrive but now i'm using an other usb 3.0 pendrive in a usb 2.0 port with 3 minute OS install time and 1 minute boot time with no error! Any ideai what usb stick shall i buy next time? (won't wan to use sata ports so i won't use an ssd)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
USB 3.0 memory sticks have had a high failure rate, thought to be due to overheating, due to the constant use that they are subjected to as a boot drive. It is generally more reliable to use some other form of storage for the boot drive.
If you look at the Hardware Requirements, you will see that a SSD is the suggested boot media.
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

ThreeDee

Guru
Not recommended here ...and my first attempt with an old 40gb ssd crashed and burned.. but with a brand new 128gb ssd connected via SATA to USB adapter .. I've been successfully running 11.2 U1 with Plex, Tautuli, Ubiquiti, ClamAV and Zoneminder for several days now without any hiccups. I'll chime in again somewhere if this passes or fails after some more time passes.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

svetter

Cadet
Not sure if this is related, I get rhe message middlewared failed to start. Then Failed to run middleware call. Daemon not running. This was using both 11.2-U2 and U3 (which was downloaded today). I loaded a USB stick .iso on to it and ran it to install on another USB stick. Not sure what USB version is on the motherboard. Should I install on a USB drive like an SSD?