Motherboard replaced and not booting

Marcelofs1

Dabbler
Hello all
I hve been looking on some other posts with stuck on booting but could not find a way to identify the reason.
I have a ASROCK C2750D4I that failed after a few years. I sned it out to manufacturer who return a brand new one.
I really thought that would be a matter to just reinstall everything back but I guess there is a new BIOS or something that is preventing the system to Boot.
The system stuck at the message "Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U7 []... "
I have attached all the 8 HD at the same connectors they were following the same sequence and the boot that resides on a 16Gb flash dirve seems intact but I have no clue on how to proceed. Any guidelines?

Marcelofs1

Dabbler
Well, a bit of an update.
I managed to enble the boot from my Flasdrive as originally done. The jumper setup somehow changed and I had to get a different configuration to enable the usb header as a bootable device. This leads me to think if there is a change on the hardware configuration. I now have this error:

1581644934879.png

Well, as per my searches this indicates that the disk array is somehow wrong. Well, I got all my 8 disks labeled and also the cables connecting to the motherboard. Does anyone can put some light on how to address this?

Marcelofs1

Dabbler
Another update. I tried to boot without the 8 disks and got same result. Somehow the new motherboard has some differences (exactly same model ASROCK C2750D4I but with a ore recent BIOS). I do have a large DB that I do not want to loose into so reinstall a new fresh is not an option. Is there a way I can work on this image to fix it?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I do have a large DB that I do not want to loose
Is the large DB in your data pool? I don't see how reinstalling the OS (and restoring the config) would lose a DB.

Seems to me like just making a new FreeNAS boot/install USB and trying to boot from that is a harmless exercise that will help to understand the problem.

Marcelofs1

Dabbler
Is the large DB in your data pool? I don't see how reinstalling the OS (and restoring the config) would lose a DB.

Seems to me like just making a new FreeNAS boot/install USB and trying to boot from that is a harmless exercise that will help to understand the problem.
Ops! Bad choose of words. No, the DB I mention is related to my PLEX running on the FreeNas jail. The data in the pool still intact (I hope :) )
I will try to create a new Freenas to test. I was afraid that having a new boot device could somehow damage the existing pool.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The data in the pool still intact
This it highly likely to be the case. Failures to boot will not usually indicate any issue with pool disks/data.

Marcelofs1

Dabbler
I will need some few flash disks :) and most of the time I only have time to work on my system on weekends. I will try to get some time during the nights but my work schedule will be a problem.
Just to clarify my expectations: I really hope I can somehow "fix" my current Freenas boot device as I have many jails inside (Plex, Subsonic, Ubooquity and others) running. All of them have all the media mapped already. Rebuilding such maping will really be a huge effors as I am working on those media since 2015.
Another thing I cannot really understand is the fact when I replaced the motherboard was the original configuration was the same and the system didn't boot. Reading a lot and moving around with countless items on foruns, I managed to make the MB "see" the boot device and, when it seems everything was going OK (The freeNas boot started) after loading many modules it freezes on "Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U7 []... " I also have created an entry on the forum as I have found dozens of issues with the C2750D4I but none exactly like what I was facing. Everything was leading me to think that my ZFS2 with 8 disks I took care to label all cables and connector in the MB to get exactly same disk order could be somehow changed due the new BIOS (this was just a hunch as I have no idea/data from previous to new board to support that idea).
I will boot from a new device(s) and see what happens. Thanks a lot in advance for you time and patience.

Marcelo

joeld79

Dabbler
you might need to flash the LSI controller or something along those lines to recognize the drives

amp88

Explorer
Everything was leading me to think that my ZFS2 with 8 disks I took care to label all cables and connector in the MB to get exactly same disk order could be somehow changed due the new BIOS (this was just a hunch as I have no idea/data from previous to new board to support that idea).
My understanding is that the order drives are connected to a system shouldn't be a concern with FreeNAS, because the organisation of pool members is done via drive GPTID and the contents of the drives themselves, which remains the same no matter which port the drive is connected to on a motherboard/controller and no matter how many drives are in the system. Tom Lawrence did a demonstration of this on YouTube a while back.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
My understanding is that the order drives are connected to a system shouldn't be a concern with FreeNAS
Correct, drive connection order is in no way important.

Marcelofs1

Dabbler
Wow! It took me a while but I finally managed to boot.
In a very short line, only when I replaced my boot device for an SSD I could manage to boot the system. It seems the new ASROCK 2750D4I does not like the USB flash drives as a boot device. :(.
Well, now I got the challenge to transfer the old configuration file from the USB (I never ever considered that this oculd be required - yeah, shame on me) OR rebuild everythig from the scratch. I do not mind but I a really concerned with my existing data. I need to go over the whole manual again as I am really afraid to lose my data (mainly pictures and VHS movies converted from my kids back from 1990's) :eek:

Last edited:

sretalla