FreeNAS 11.2 not booting

sandhill

Cadet
Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2 for quite some time now, but can't get it to work.
After updating through the Web UI the 11.2 boot environment is stuck at a blank screen, only displaying 'Booting Normal Bootup'. I also tried to upgrade by flashing the installer to two different USB drives, but the installer is stuck at 'Booting...'
I'm running FreeNAS on an Asrock Q1900-ITX, and have installed it on a 32GB SSD.

If you have any idea as to what the cause might be or have a solution, please let me know. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks for any help in advance.

sandhill

Cadet
Unfortunately I haven't been able to resolve the issue yet. I have tried all the suggestions on the page you referred to already, but haven't been able to get 11.2 running yet..

Janky Jay

Dabbler
Having a similar issue myself (see recent post in same category). Although, I'm not even able to get to the "Booting..." screen. Just the initial spinning bar that eventually hangs after a few seconds. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue soon.

Apollo

Wizard
Having a similar issue myself (see recent post in same category). Although, I'm not even able to get to the "Booting..." screen. Just the initial spinning bar that eventually hangs after a few seconds. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue soon.
Leave it for a few minutes.
My Threadripper has been exhibiting this on a few occasional boots or reboots, but when I did the update to FreeNAS-11.2-U3 I let it run a bit longer.
I have a powermeter inline so I can see the power usage and when it happens it gets tuck to 200+ W as opposed to the idle'ish of around 125W.
A few times have I been concerned with this as CPU would get hot. However, this time I decided to wait a bit longer and it finally booted up fine.
Back then, it was stuck at "/" with a black screen and I thought it was locked.

Janky Jay

Dabbler
Does 14 hours count as long enough? I'd finally had enough troubleshooting last night and just left it. I'm looking at it now and it's still in the same spot.

Apollo

Wizard
Does 14 hours count as long enough? I'd finally had enough troubleshooting last night and just left it. I'm looking at it now and it's still in the same spot.
14hr is too long for sure.

Janky Jay

Dabbler
Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2 for quite some time now, but can't get it to work.
After updating through the Web UI the 11.2 boot environment is stuck at a blank screen, only displaying 'Booting Normal Bootup'. I also tried to upgrade by flashing the installer to two different USB drives, but the installer is stuck at 'Booting...'
I'm running FreeNAS on an Asrock Q1900-ITX, and have installed it on a 32GB SSD.

If you have any idea as to what the cause might be or have a solution, please let me know. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks for any help in advance.

So, I solved my issue by making sure "Boot Support" was disabled on my HBA (LSI). If you're using an HBA as well (I would certainly hope you are), try checking the configuration and making sure that any options that allow booting from the HBA are disabled. Perhaps you're running into the same problem as I was and those darn storage disks are being used/seen by the bootloader when they shouldn't be.

sandhill

Cadet
So, I solved my issue by making sure "Boot Support" was disabled on my HBA (LSI). If you're using an HBA as well (I would certainly hope you are), try checking the configuration and making sure that any options that allow booting from the HBA are disabled. Perhaps you're running into the same problem as I was and those darn storage disks are being used/seen by the bootloader when they shouldn't be.
Unfortunately, I still don't get the machine or installer to boot..

tabularasa

Cadet
Not completely certain we were having the same issue but the only way I could get 11.2 to boot on my hardware was to press #3 during startup to enter the boot option configuration menu. After toggling on verbose mode with #4 for good measure hit ESC to enter the loader prompt then type "set hint.wbwd.0.disabled=1" then "boot". If that works you can make it permanent by adding it to the bottom of "/boot/loader.conf". Hopefully that works for someone.

Darklion

Explorer
@tabularasa can you be a little more specific? I am using a r910 Dell server and I think F11 will be my #3, but I don't get what you mean by verbose mode to be able to set all that configuration and evne less on how to find /boot/loader.conf