? monitor RAID without SMART?

Status
Not open for further replies.

namboy

Cadet
So, I'm trying to recover from a poor hardware choice and I need some help. I've search the forum but cannot find an answer to :
Is there a way to monitor hard-disk/RAID health if the the NAS uses a hardware RAID controller (Intel RT3WB080) in a RAID 60 configuration and a UFS file system? The FreeNAS documentation makes it clear we cannot use S.M.A.R.T. with hardware RAID. The Intel controller comes with it's own software that has a Linux version, but I don't know if we can 'install software'? Maybe that's what the Jails are for, but I'm a newbie to FreeNAS .......

paleoN

Wizard
SIs there a way to monitor hard-disk/RAID health if the the NAS uses a hardware RAID controller (Intel RT3WB080) in a RAID 60 configuration and a UFS file system?
So, that's a LSI’s SAS2108? Depends and maybe.

The Intel controller comes with it's own software that has a Linux version, but I don't know if we can 'install software'?
What does Linux have to do with anything?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Even if the tw_cli works, you lose out on the SMART testing and monitoring that's built into FreeNAS. You'll have to figure out how to script it to email you at regular intervals, then actually go through everything and verify by hand that all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.