RAID setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcos86

Cadet
Hi Robert,
thanks for your answer, so is not as easy as buy the card, replace current Perc RAID card and install FreeNAS? From what I have understand I need to install the new card, and flash the firmware?
But my question is, why I should do it as the card support Non-RAID mode?

Thanks
Marcos

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
so is not as easy as buy the card, replace current Perc RAID card and install FreeNAS?
It might be, I just want to make sure you've thought of everything.
From what I have understand I need to install the new card, and flash the firmware?
But my question is, why I should do it as the card support Non-RAID mode?
The best advice from the most experienced forum members is that flashing any RAID card to IT mode is the way to go, and not to use a card that can't be flashed to IT mode. Since it's so easy to do, it makes sense to heed that advice. I don't know exactly what would happen if you didn't, but one example of a possible problem is that FreeNAS might not be able to read the SMART data.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
While the PERC6i/R will work in IT mode when drives aren't configured, the reason we're suggesting that you flash to the LSI one is to get on the "expected" hardware and firmware revision for the mpt driver. The driver is version 16 and expecting firmware revision 16; having a mismatch could result in poor performance, odd behavior, or absolutely nothing. Problem is, you don't know entirely which you'll get.

Disregard that, applies to LSI 9211-8i clones only. LSI 1068E is cool.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Firmware 16 is an issue for the LSI 9211 clones. The LSI 1068's are older SAS 3Gbps and ****warning**** have the 2TB limit issue.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/confused-about-that-lsi-card-join-the-crowd.11901/

In theory the LSI 1068 is fine but in practice we don't see people using these anymore. In 2011-2012, everyone started using the M1015 due to the 2TB issue and that they were about the same price. I do have at least one 1068 based card here (ServeRAID BR10i) but I just use it for booting a FreeNAS box, for which it works amazingly well (a few tiny/cheap SSD's mirrored). That is a poor recommendation at best, I guess.

While the PERC6i/R will work in IT mode when drives aren't configured, the reason we're suggesting that you flash to the LSI one is to get on the "expected" hardware and firmware revision for the mpt driver. The driver is version 16 and expecting firmware revision 16; having a mismatch could result in poor performance, odd behavior, or absolutely nothing. Problem is, you don't know entirely which you'll get.

There's no firmware phase 16 for the 1068 that I know of.

marcos86

Cadet
so is highly suggested to flash the card to avoid issues?

I have read that you talk about LSI 1068, but in my case I will purchase this card
should I flash it anyway even if support non-raid option?

P.s.
I have 6 1TB drives, there is no problem for me as I don't want to purchase more than 1TB.

Thanks
Marcos

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, yes, it's probably still necessary to flash the card to IT mode. If the disk devices are showing up as anything like "LSILOGIC Logical Volume" this will screw you in the long run. If they're showing up as the expected manufacturer's names ("Hitachi HDS724040ALE640") then the drive is truly being passed through, and if you can see SMART data for the disk, it may be "good enough."

Honestly, most of us who know anything about these cards ditched them long ago, or found uses for them where we're not trusting our pool data to them.

marcos86

Cadet
ok, let's do this, I will purchase it next week and I when arrive I will begin and report you anything I found, maybe will be helpful to anybody with a PE2950 like me ;-)

Thanks very much to all of you until now.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Well, yes, it's probably still necessary to flash the card to IT mode. If the disk devices are showing up as anything like "LSILOGIC Logical Volume" this will screw you in the long run. If they're showing up as the expected manufacturer's names ("Hitachi HDS724040ALE640") then the drive is truly being passed through, and if you can see SMART data for the disk, it may be "good enough."

Honestly, most of us who know anything about these cards ditched them long ago, or found uses for them where we're not trusting our pool data to them.

I'm tempted now to pull out an old Sun F20 and see if that wants to play ball with FreeNAS. Could use two of the FMODs as a mirrored boot device.

Ron2

Cadet
I'm tempted now to pull out an old Sun F20 and see if that wants to play ball with FreeNAS. Could use two of the FMODs as a mirrored boot device.

I just got this card but don't know much about it. Does anyone know if the Sun F20 Flash card have a Hard disk size limitation? I bought this for fun because it was cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
I just got this card but don't know much about it. Does anyone know if the Sun F20 Flash card have a Hard disk size limitation? I bought this for fun because it was cheap.

Apparently it's 4Kn

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19682-01/E21358/E21358.pdf

FreeNAS11 nightlies are supposed to fix a bug booting 4K drives soon.

Looks like the card has a sas/Sata controller on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.