Midnight Commander - Jail - How to move files from FreeNAS to external box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
I was able to create a jail and install Midnight Commander - I then added storage and I was able to move data around on my two zpools.

My question is can I use MC in the jail to move data from my FreeNAS box to my windows box.

I had a look around and think ftp should be the way to go - I tried but could not get it to work. If somebody could help me that would be lovely.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Using smb and windows file explore doesn't work for you? Everyone wants these file explorers to exist on freenas, that just doesn't make sense when it's a networked attached server. You can also use WebDAV to view the files in a web browser.

ethereal

Guru
i was just really playing around. i suppose the only time i would really need it - i may have to move the files from FreeNAS and i could use tmux and midnight commander to do this unattended

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There are 6+ ways to move data off freenas unattended. I'm still not understanding.

The proper way would be to setup FTP on freenas and use a ftp client from your windows box or what ever box you want to transfer the data to.

ethereal

Guru
As i said i just playing around - there was a recent thread where a user used mc and ftp to move files to other computers

Status
Not open for further replies.