Is Midnight Commander stability

tbvink

Dabbler
Hi,

I am new to TrueNAS Core and have installed TrueNAS-13.0-U2 on a PC with a Gen 12 I5 CPU.

For much of the file maintenance I expect to do, MC looks like a wonderful solution. However it crashes so easily I am wondering if it is supported in the latest versions of TrueNAS. For example:

If I start MC from the directory that the shell starts in, it prints half of a screen and crashes. Will not respond to any keys. If I CD up a level MC runs OK.

On the F6 command ( copy/move ) I am not sure how to select the two files but when I press F6, MC crashes. I was able to move a directory yesterday, but to my recollection the same procedure crashes today.

I have started reading the documentation for MC but as I try things, a lot does not seem to work.

If MC is a recommended service, I can provide more detail to my problems.

Thanks,
Tony

danb35

Hall of Famer
MC should work and be stable. If it's crashing, the best thing to do is likely to submit a bug report through the TrueNAS GUI, attaching a debug file and screen shots of any of the crash messages.
I am not sure how to select the two files
Ctrl-T will "tag" or select a file, repeat for as many files as you like.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you using the shell in the web UI? Don't. That one is broken. Use Putty or Windows 10+ native or Mac OS SSH to connect directly, Then use mc in that terminal window.

tbvink

Dabbler
MC should work and be stable. If it's crashing, the best thing to do is likely to submit a bug report through the TrueNAS GUI, attaching a debug file and screen shots of any of the crash messages.

Ctrl-T will "tag" or select a file, repeat for as many files as you like.
Thanks,

I am using MC in the GUI shell. So I'll try the putty terminal to see if that works better. ( Patrics advice )

Tony

tbvink

Dabbler
Hi,

In putty I logged in as my user name. Then "cd /" to go to the root directory.
When I run mc, I get the following:

common.c: unimplemented subshell type 1
read (subshell_pty...): No such file or directory (2)
truenas%

So I guess I either do not have my user setup properly in TrueNAS or I need to do some shell configuration. I dont need to install MC, do I?

Thanks again,
Tony

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I use MC a lot but only as root. My guess would be that the account's home directory or login shell setting is causing this.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have root access as well as my standard Active Directory user on our TrueNAS and I get exactly the same error when logging in as an unprivileged user:
Code:
ry93@truenas:~ $ mc
common.c: unimplemented subshell type 1
read (subshell_pty...): No such file or directory (2)

The solution seems to be to run mc -u:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I dont need to install MC, do I?
No, it's installed for you. Based on the thread Patrick linked (which I also had found), there are two possible fixes:
  • invoke mc with the -u flag, or
  • change the user's shell to bash, tcsh, or zsh.
The latter can be done in Accounts -> Users, edit the user in question and change the shell there.