Menu Loop After Config Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
So per this post of mine https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/got-a-free-server-to-replace-my-current-one.48835/

I got my LSI card installed and ready to rock and roll. I installed a nice new fresh copy of Freenas 9.10 matching my current machine on a new thumb drive. The install went smooth as can be and I was able to tell the server to restore my config file. Upon doing this, that is when the trouble starts. The server reboots just fine during the config restore and once it finally comes back to where its ready to rock and roll the menu goes into the loop with the final message about the getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/tty0, sleeping 30 secs.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the NIC naming. On the old supermicro they were all em* and on this they're igb. There are 4 of them compared to the last server which had 2. For now until I get LAGG setup I still plan to only use one of the NICs.

How can I reset all of my network config through the command line. Keep in mind I can't access anything in the setup menu since the thing just loops.

I did see errors during the startup referencing that nginix was not able to start as well. I am currently running through the console port so I don't really have a way to take a reliable screenshot. I can try and reboot it here and see if I can snag one of the nginix errors but its just odd that once the config is restored it goes into this state. I am able to access the other TTY consoles so I can at least run commands through that. Thank you all for your help with this and I can't wait to put this sucker into production.

Last edited:

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Ok yay for screenshot tools lol. Since this is running in my VirtualBox in order to see the console (yay for java applets lol) I can at least show you the error I'm seeing here.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-12-28 01-25-14.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-28 01-25-14.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 218

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Ok so I was able to force igb3 up with DHCP for now. Once I did that I was able to get into the menu and also the webui after I restarted nginx and django. I then deleted all of my vlans through the console because the webui wasn't happy with me deleting them there.
Now I have the system up and running but everytime it reboots I have to tell reset the configuration on one of my vlan interfaces. Once I do that I'm able to get to the WebUI with no issue. However nothing else is working. I can't mount any of my NFS/SMB shares it just times out. Also the iscsi service refuses to start as well. I'm trying to find which log the iscsi writes to so I can see what the heck its issue is. I really do wonder if there are just some artifacts left behind from the old NIC configs thats causing all of my issues. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? Do you have the same issue if you reset the configuration (note that that will remove all of your configs)? Alternately, do you have the same issue if you burn a new stick and boot into it?

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Ok so I was able to force igb3 up with DHCP for now. Once I did that I was able to get into the menu and also the webui after I restarted nginx and django. I then deleted all of my vlans through the console because the webui wasn't happy with me deleting them there.
Now I have the system up and running but everytime it reboots I have to tell reset the configuration on one of my vlan interfaces. Once I do that I'm able to get to the WebUI with no issue. However nothing else is working. I can't mount any of my NFS/SMB shares it just times out. Also the iscsi service refuses to start as well. I'm trying to find which log the iscsi writes to so I can see what the heck its issue is. I really do wonder if there are just some artifacts left behind from the old NIC configs thats causing all of my issues. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.