How long(on average) does it take FreeNAS to start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinPowers

Dabbler
Hi all.
:)

Now that we have fixed my install problem from the other thread, and now it is booting up fine from the 4GB USB flash-drive, FreeNAS seems to take AGES to boot. I have been watching it now for about 5 minutes, and it is finally ready to rock and roll, and has supplied me with the selection menu and IP address.

Does it normally take this long to fire up?

tingo

Contributor
The answer is "it depends". It depends on the combination of the components you use.
But yes, 5 minutes or more could very well be an average (hard to know, nobody has collected that data AFAIK).

The real question is: does it matter? Your FreeNAS box is going to be on 24x7 for the rest of its life. The only times you are going to reboot it is when you upgrade it or replace failed drives.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Exactly. 5 mins sounds about right, but you shouldn't be having to bootup all that often. I've rebooted my FreeNAS server twice in the last 3 weeks, and that was only to enable new settings I applied.

Now that all is pretty much done with my setup, I can't tell you when my next reboot will be. Barring a storm knocking out power forcing me to shutdown, I'd say my next reboot will probably be when 8.3.1 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.