Memory usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

I have been playing with freenas & had a quick question about memory (ram) usage. I have installed Virtualbox, Plex, and subsonic. Its only me playing with the box.

I have a few VM's running (win8 (1gb), win 7 (512mb), and another win 7 (1gb). I had all 3 VM's running & sitting idle. I was playing with VNC but really doing nothing at all.

I went to my memory usage and saw the screen shot. I shut down the windows VM's & then you can see the drop. Is that normal to be using all the system memory for 3 vm's?

I have:

Supermicro X10SL7-F-
32GB ram
Xeon 1231v3

Am I reading the memory usage correctly? Was I maxed out & then using nothing?

Is there a command line I can run to check memory usage?

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• memory.JPG
    memory.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 250

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
This same question was just asked a day or so ago, im on my phone or id link you to it. Yes its normal.

RichTJ99

Patron
Thanks - So am i actually maxed out with my memory?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

rsquared

Explorer
Am I reading the memory usage correctly? Was I maxed out & then using nothing?

If by that you mean that the lines seem to all drop to 0 at the end of the graph, that's just a bug in how the graphs display. The graph also isn't quite real time. If you want to see how much memory was freed up, you should wait a bit and check again.

Hat said, FreeNAS is pretty good about using most of the memory it has available most of time. Your ARC will grow and shrink as necessary to use the free RAM,but will also release some when other applications need it.

RichTJ99

Patron
So if I want to run 5 VM's using 4gb of memory each (20gb used) - how can i tell if that will work or cause problems?

RichTJ99

Patron
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.