Trimming down memory usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmarauder99

Dabbler
Firstly, I will explain:
My FreeNAS box currently only has 2Gb of RAM. Now whilst I know this is below the recommended amount I don't currently have the option to make any changes to it.
Saying this, generally speaking it runs ok, that with the exception of when it is transcoding video files via Plex.
So far, I have only Plex running (no other plugins), and I've disabled all services with the exception of CIFS and SMART. I've also disabled the DLNA service of Plex (saving about 150Mb of RAM).
I have attached a screenshot of the running processes.

So, for a system purely for light storage use and mainly playing video files of various formats, what can I do to reduce the memory usage?

Attachments

• free_mem_usage_ss.png
    free_mem_usage_ss.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 210

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, transcoding can take up quite a bit of RAM. In your picture Plex is using almost 300MB alone. If there was a way to 'downsize' FreeNAS it would be here. It's not, because you can't. The system requirements can't be lowered, so your only option is to get better hardware or find another OS. Sorry, there's no bending FreeNAS to make it do what you want for hardware that is as limited as yours.

darkmarauder99

Dabbler
Thanks all for your replies, processor wise I'm using a Core2Duo 3.16Ghz, so as I expected the memory is the issue. I saw it yesterday go down to 51mb.
All I can say is that FreeNAS continues to be excellent, and I'll give it the deserved memory for my required setup asap.

Whattteva

Wizard
My hats off to you. Running something as intensive as Plex even when the system is already starved even if we were to disregard the Plex is quite bold. I'm guessing you either don't really care about the data or you have backups handy.

Knowltey

Patron
My FreeNAS box currently only has 2Gb of RAM. Now whilst I know this is below the recommended amount I don't currently have the option to make any changes to it.

That isn't just below the recommended system requirements. You are only running a quarter of the minimum system requirements. You need to upgrade your RAM or go to another operating system.

Honestly, I'm surprised it even manages to stay running without crashing out with that low of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.