Minimum Memory to Use VirtualBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, this is my system:

Supermicro X10SL7-F
Intel Xeon E3-1231V3
2x Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 ECC (16Gb)
4x WD Red 2Gb (RAIDz2)
3x WD Red 1Gb (RAIDz)

I would like to have a VirtualBox jail running Linux Debian, is my memory RAM enough? What is the maximum that I can allocate to the Jail and keep my system with the minimum RAM to work?

Thank You for your help.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can afford several GB (but I'd suggest avoiding more than 4-5 if you can) and the system will definitely let you know when it is unhappy because it'll get slow. :smile:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Debian only requires 1GB (recommended specs) but it will depend on what you are using it for. As for what FreeNAS can live with, well try to leave 8GB alone and dedicated for FreeNAS for stability. From a speed perspective it depends on what you are using FreeNAS for, if you have a lot of reading from the cache then reducing your RAM will affect performance, not stability.

Soloam

Contributor
The idea to use Debian is to run Zoneminder and OpenHab. FreeNas does not have a lot of readings, Most of the time the system will be Idle. I use a lot of trascoding when watching movies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Transcoding will be fine unless your jail consumes a lot of the CPU.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I would like to have a VirtualBox jail running Linux Debian, is my memory RAM enough?
As stated above, with 1GB allocated to Debian, you should be fine, but keep an eye on swap usage. I recommend you check "Use host I/O cache" in the virtual SATA controller settings for the VM, to avoid aborted VMs.

Soloam

Contributor
thank you all for the feedback

Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.