Mellanox Technologies MT26448

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout032

Cadet
Bought 2 lan cards Mellanox Technologies MT26448, installed them in the server HP DL180 G6.
Installed FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64
LAN card does not display. Help to install drivers.

mjws00

Guru
It's not quite as simple as you think. This is an appliance, running an embedded system. Here is my favorite answer:

The best, and really the only way to do what you're trying to do is to build a custom version of FreeNAS with the driver(s) of your choice compiled in.

It's easy to build FreeNAS. Just instantiate a stock FreeBSD 9.2/9.3 build host, fork the appropriate repo on github, add your driver to a branch, modify the checkout script to use your branch instead of the stock one(s), "make release" and bob's your uncle, you'll have an ISO and upgrade image to use which contains the updated driver or whatever other custom bits you want to include.

If that previous paragraph is over your head, then this is like riding the Space Mountain roller coaster at Disneyland - there's a sign which says you must be a certain height to ride it, otherwise you get to turn around and ride the tea cups or the merry-go-round instead. Same principle applies here. I'm not actually trying to be condescending or discouraging, either - this is literally the level of skill required to accomplish the task, nothing more and nothing less. FWIW, there are also hundreds of people who have started with even less information and, using google to provide the details (repo URLs and such), popped out a custom FreeNAS image several hours later, so it's not rocket science either.

Good luck.

scout032

Cadet
Может посоветует других дешевых LAN 10 Гбит / с, которые работают с FreeNAS.

mjws00

Guru
The intel x540 series drivers are now stable. The chelsio cards are what iX use themselves and are NOT cheap. A Few weeks ago someone posted a emulex, or solarflare card that looked cheap and worked.

mjws00

Guru
It should. Uses the ixgbe driver.

mjws00

Guru
I don't own one. But others have used them successfully. I would be comfortable with that purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.