mDNS_register_internal: error!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easygoer

Explorer
Hi,
I am in the process of creating a second USB thumb (Corsair Voyager 8GB) drive as a backup FreeNAS OS. So I installed the image file using 7-zip and Win32 disk imager etc. as per the guidelines. Original thumb drive is a ScanDisk 4gb cruzer. It is working fine.

Followed my fellow forum member "Yatti420's" post
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?posts/107672/

Backed up my config file to my windows computer.

Booted up with the new usb key and the boot-up stops here as per the attached image file:

I have re-written and re-done the copying procedure a number of times. Ran Hashtab to make sure the file that I downloaded was "complete".

So what's next?

Easygoer

Explorer
mDNS (640x478).jpg

Sorry. In case the image did not go through in the first post. Here it is.

Nick2253

Wizard
Based on my understanding of mDNSResponder, those messages should be pretty benign. Generally, what it means is that the address freenas.local is already registered with the DNS server, or the DNS server is rejecting mDNS's attempt to register the address. My guess is that is has something to do with how you are setting up your DNS on your network.

That being said, I don't understand how that would stop FreeNAS from booting. Have you let it sit a while after reaching that screen? It could be that the DNS timeout has been set overly long, and the system is just waiting.

My most probable guess is that the new USB stick isn't good (or it's possible that the usb image isn't good). Use IPMI to boot from the USB image and test that everything boots up correctly. That will tell you if it's the USB stick or the image.

Easygoer

Explorer
I thought I'd try letting the boot sequence proceed a little longer. But nothing happened that I could see. So I went back into the webgui on my windows computer. I was able to log in using the ip address from the previous usb stick. I then imported the config file (which I had backed up just before creating the new usb stick) and everything worked well from then on. I rebooted the NAS and I was taken to the 11 step menu which shows up at the end. At the bottom was the IP address, the same one as before.

I will look into the DNS settings further and will post as soon as I find anything. Thanks to dlavigne & nick2253. Really appreciate your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.