What does this mean?

Have you ever posted in Reddit/r/sysadmin recommending FreeNas in a production environment?

• Yes, the thought of a company losing their data amuses me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I always recommend they spend real money on supported storage

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Marley

Dabbler
I've tried googling various parts of this page of fail (image attached) but not having much luck.
can someone explain what is going wrong here and how to fix it?
as a test case, let's pretend I really want the data on there to survive.

needless to say it's not booting. is it the thumb drive? should I try re-imaging that?
will I lose my iscsi and smb configs if I re-make the thumb drive? is there any way to back those up?

this box has otherwise been up and stable for a few months now, maybe 6-8 months without issue.
it hosts a zvol to iSCSI target and 2 zfs datasets, 1 large without dedupe, 1 small with dedupe.

Attachments

• IMG_0036_s.png
    IMG_0036_s.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Robert Marley

Dabbler
running an upgrade from CD to thumbdrive seems to have brought things back online for the time being. On first boot after upgrade it went through some very involved process of repairing CRC, but either didn't specify if it was repairing da0 the boot drive or one of the ZFS pools.

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear that the server is up and running again.

Had I been awake and seen your first message, I would have suggested that you reinstall FreeNAS on a new flash drive and restore your configuration. My guess, is what was repaired was da0.

That being said, I'd be suspicious about the health of da0. Do you backup your configuration on a regular basis? You can either back it up via the webGUI or use a cron job to copy /data/freenas-v1.db to another location. I still suggest that you do a fresh install of the OS on a quality flash drive and restore your configuration file to it. Consider switching to it now or at a minimum, test it to ensure that it'll work if the current one fails.

You didn't say which version of FreeNAS that you are running. I'm assuming that it's pre-9.3. With version 9.3, the boot device uses ZFS (instead of UFS) and it's possible to mirror the boot drive.

Another possibility might be to use a SATA DOM instead of a USB flash drive.

As far as your poll is concerned ... there are pros and cons for both. If you need/want FreeNAS support, contact iXsystems. Not only do they sell their TrueNAS systems, they also sell support for FreeNAS.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
@gpsguy his poll is ironical, both options are against FreeNAS...

Robert Marley

Dabbler
@gpsguy thanks for your thoughtful response. If only I had read it in time. After saving another 100GB from my ZFS pool, it froze again.
I'll take your suggestion and backup config if i can bring it back to life. Now while booting it hangs on mounting local file systems.
I really hope it's just the thumb drive and not a bad SATA disk that's causing all this. The purpose of raid is to keep a file system live while drives are having problems. I'd like to think FreeNas would be able to finish booting and report a bad drive. unfortunately it doesn't say where it's hanging on "mounting local file systems"

@Bidule0hm you see what I did there? ;) To be fair to freeNas, we purchased a $35,000 San at work called a Facilis that came with a single, unraided boot drive and that was the drive that failed. It had to be that one. $35,000 SAN = $65 Seagate consumer level boot drive.

Bidule0hm

You didn't provided your hardware config accordingly to the forum rules so we can't know if it's FreeNAS or a bad hardware choice who causes this issue.

It's probably the USB stick who decided to die, so your data should be safe, but we can't be sure a this point, we need more details.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, replace the boot device first, speculate about FreeNAS' resilience later.

If you want more uptime, use better, mirrored boot devices with FreeNAS 9.3.

Robert Marley

Dabbler
Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions. It was the thumb drive for sure. An OCZ Diesel 8GB that must be at E.O.L.
Clonezilla'd that biotch to a newer Silicon Image 16GB USB3 and now things seem fine again.
sorry about the lack of specs, they were Core i7 2.66 Quad, 12GB ram, 10 mixed drives, mostly 2TB WD RE4, and a few 1TB consumer level drives thrown in.
but... SOLVED, hurray!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You shouldn't use any cloning tools. The correct way is to reinstall FreeNAS and upload your configuration file.

Bidule0hm

gpsguy

Now that it's running, please backup the configuration file ASAP.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

gpsguy

That's what I said near the beginning of the thread.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.