Major differences in source/destination size from rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichR

Explorer
Long and short of it is - major differences in rsync lots of data from OS X (external Drobo Pro) to new FreeNAS 8.3.1-RELEASE-p2

Although many directories and sub-directories, the bottom line is what is originally about 7.15TB (OS X) ends up being 8.39TB (FreeNAS). No compression on either end.

I just did a small directory from OS X to a new unused pool...rsync 3.0.9, ran rsync with and without --sparse (same results) on a dir.... du -sh on dir from OS X 70M, FreeNAS 85M

created a text file "blocksize.txt", ls -la shows 6 bytes on both systems.

du -sh blocksize.txt:
OS X 4.0K
FreeNAS 1.5k

smallest file is around 527038 bytes (from ls -la)

1) can someone running OS X rsync a directory to a FreeNAS box and report the results of a du -sh for both the source and the destination?
2) can you also please note if you are using an OS later than 10.5 whether HFS+ compression is on (I am running 10.5 so there is no compression)

My FreeNAS install is RAIDZ2

This might help if you need more data http://pastebin.com/ig4X2YRy

Thanks,

Rich

paleoN

Wizard
Code:
zpool status Store1

zpool list Store1

zfs list Store1

zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache | grep ashift

ls -lsi /mnt/Store1/cmi/archive/2007/10/9/9/AEC81E36/C2C816D8

JaimieV

Guru
Here, OSX = 4k, FreeNAS = 512b. No compression on these files. OSX 10.8.3. I rsync'ed a medium size folder over to the FreeNAS 8.3.1 module.

I also used du -sk instead of -h because "26G" on both is a bit uninformative.

OSX: 27,182,864
FreeNAS: 27,562,649

But I think this is due to the netatalk method of handling resource forks etc, as the file count is radically different: ls -laR foldername | wc
OSX: 44685
FreeNAS: 52081

A quick check shows that the extra files are all .AppleDouble folders and their contents. Lots and lots of little files holding the metadata that HFS keeps. So there you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.