two subdirs with exactly the same name in one folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbuero

Cadet
Dear Community,
I've got a "strange" behavior of my freenas (FreeNAS-11.0-U3 (c5dcf4416)) and maybe someone could explain it to me or get me to the point that "strange" only defines my lack of knowledge ;)

What I've done:
1. mount a parent dataset via nfs://freenas:/mnt/parent and rsync'ed content to it
- client macOS 10.11.6
- source=//client/source
- destination=./parent/subdir/source
- hint: the subdir is also a child-dataset of the parent
2. mount the child-dataset via afp://freenas/mnt/parent/subdir and rsync same source (//client/source) to it

When no files have changed rsync shouldn't sync anything, right? Despite the expected behavior rsync starts syncing and writes the same folder /client/source to the destination. So on my freenas it results in:
/mnt/parent/subdir/source
/mnt/parent/subdir/source

"ls -lisahb" shows that there are no hidden characters in the folder name and that only the inode differs.

Thanks for any advice
Mario

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sounds like you have a dataset and a directory with the same name. Make sure your data is properly backed up and nuke on of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

digitalbuero

Cadet
Good point but I haven't...Except an nfs-mount results in creating a folder inside the parent-dataset despite the child-dataset with the same name (parent/foldername=child-dataset-name)?
Is there a way to figure it out via shell? How to check if theres a /mnt/parent-dataset/child-dataset and a /mnt/parent-dataset/folder with same name?

Status
Not open for further replies.