Lost My Data in 9.2.0 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

holtie

Cadet
Hi
I recently had my NAS box serving as a media storage and server for my house, it was running 9.1.1 and was working fine. I have a volume called NAS_Storage and on that i had a media folder with subfolders for TV, Music, Movies. after updating to version 9.2.0 i can no longer access this data. according to the active volumes display the volume is still there, it even says that it has used 671GiB of space, which is what i had put onto it up until that point, but when i try to access it through CIFS shares the folder appears empty, same with DLNA. i tried to recreate the CIFS share, but when i browsed for the mount point none of the data appeared in the media folder. i also tried to auto import the volume but when it got to step 2of2 selecting the volume, the drop down menu was empty, so there was nothing to select.
I restored my settings from the settings file i downloaded prior to the update but that has also not worked.
Is there any way to reconfigure my volumes without loosing the data on the drives? it appears that the system is still detecting my data, is there any way to locate it? I would really like to avoid wiping the drives and starting again because there are a lot of files on there that i no longer have backed up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, im worried that i may lose all my media :(
thanks in advance for any replies or instructions.

Cupcake

Dabbler
Well to me it sounds like the data is not really gone, at least from the way you describe it. You say that your volume is displayed, so why won't you open a shell real quick and move to mnt/poolname (command: cd) and see (command: ls) what's really on the disk? If it shows your data, then something in the configuration went wrong or missing, but at least your data would be safe.

holtie

Cadet
Well to me it sounds like the data is not really gone, at least from the way you describe it. You say that your volume is displayed, so why won't you open a shell real quick and move to mnt/poolname (command: cd) and see (command: ls) what's really on the disk? If it shows your data, then something in the configuration went wrong or missing, but at least your data would be safe.

Hi
Thanks for replying, you're absolutely right, the data was there safely all along. I figured out the problem like 40 mins ago lol, turns out i had just been dumping all my media into a folder called "media" directly onto the volume i had set up, without using any datasets. i recently tried creating a dataset called "media" and because the folder on the volume and the new dataset both had the same name the system only recognised the dataset, which is why i could navigate to mnt/Volumename/Media, but there was no data. i removed the empty dataset and sure enough all my files were visible again. I have since created a proper dataset to house all my media and i am in the process of transferring it all to it. lesson learnt, use datasets and don't just dump files all over the place :/ I now have it working flawlessly and i even have Plex media server running (which is fast becoming my favourite feature of this setup! i recommend it to anyone, especially people that have a samsung smart tv, there is a plex app available for it that is just awesome!)
anywhoo, thanks again for the time to reply to a n00bie post.

Status
Not open for further replies.