Lost connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk

Patron
Server has been running for a year with sonnar, sab, and plex without a single problem. That says something about Linux and its software app developers (a deserved show of respect). Server has an extra hard drive that has been unused. My intent was to use it as a mail server and set out to install Ubuntu on it. I've been in IT in one way or another for almost 20 years and have developed a sense of when NOT to go on. Server was booted from CD (via IPMI terminal) to install on extra hard drive, but device list was not clear enough for me to continue feeling safe. I exited without continuing to install or choosing any partition action.

After a reboot the KVM terminal shows the same boot menu I have always seen indicating that the FreeNAS interface is at yada.yada.yada.16 suggesting that FreeNAS may be well, but a browser attempt to connect times out.

Some suggestions to diagnose/proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Some actual information pertaining to your particular problem would be helpful in providing a meaningful response.

Dirk

Patron
About the only thing i can think of to add would be that none of the web interfaces (Sonarr, FreeNAS, Plex) will come up on a remote machine, they just time out. A reboot from a terminal session of the FreeNAS server ends as it always does with the configuration menu so I'm hoping it's saveable.

Later that morning: I cannot ping in or out of the server. I've re-configured the network interface which did not change anything. Going into a shell from the boot menu I can motor around the directory structure and see my media is fine. So at this point I'd say the networking part of the installation is hosed. Is there a way to re-install it or reset it?

Thanks

gpsguy

FreeNAS (FreeBSD) <> Linux

That says something about Linux and its software app developers

Have you tested the physical layer, ie. network cables, switch ports.

What version of FreeNAS are you running?

Later that morning: I cannot ping in or out of the server.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It's difficult to see the intent. You mention Linux (but FreeNAS is not, and never has been, based on Linux) and a mailserver, but apparently want to keep FreeNAS. Are you trying to install a jail? Which version of FreeNAS is this?

Dirk

Patron
FreeNAS (FreeBSD) <> Linux

Have you tested the physical layer, ie. network cables, switch ports.

What version of FreeNAS are you running?

I had thought of that, I don't believe it to be a physical problem as I can get to the box via IPMI (read another net port on the box and all three are going into the same switch)

Since my last post, I've found I an ping the various jail IP's from the CLI entered into from the IPMI. However I can not ping outside the box, or to it from outside the box. Everything of course is on the same net.

Server started at 9.3 and is now at 11.1

Thanks

Dirk

Patron
It's difficult to see the intent. You mention Linux (but FreeNAS is not, and never has been, based on Linux) and a mailserver, but apparently want to keep FreeNAS. Are you trying to install a jail? Which version of FreeNAS is this?

The intent was to use the extra SSD drive that was available, and the extra nic in the motherboard for a separate installation of Linux and a mail server. Server is now at 11.1

See my post above for some more info.

Thank you.

Dirk

Patron
And later that morning:
Progress.... Reboot the server from the IPMI and at boot loader selected 11.0 and everything came back. This would suggest that the Ubuntu cd grunged the networking in 11.1 before I even did anything.

So, My last questions are:

1. How to save the networking in 11.1 from the CLI.

2. Do I want to now that I have access to the GUI in 11.0 (read remove 11.1 and re-update) and if this is the suggested course of action how to remove 11.1?

3. In keeping with the original desire to install an OS and mail server on the extra SSD and NIC should I consider FreeBSD and a mail server instead of Linux distros.

Thanks

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The intent was to use the extra SSD drive that was available, and the extra nic in the motherboard for a separate installation of Linux and a mail server. Server is now at 11.1

For dual-boot? To replace the FreeNAS operating system? To run in a jail? Please explain.

Last edited:

Dirk

Patron
For dual-boot? To replace the FreeNAS operating system? To run in a jail? Please explain?
No, not a dual boot. The server has an unused SSD in it, and an unused NIC. Although in the same case, the idea is to install Linux to the SSD and have that install use the second NIC. The two would be separate entities for the most part.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The two would be separate entities for the most part.
Unless you are running a hypervisor that's called dual boot and it's not supported by FreeNAS.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks Jailer. That will keep me from wasting my time.

Hopefully some info on how to repair the 11.1 install will come along.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you're back on 11.0 upgrade via the GUI again and let the process complete.

Dirk

Patron
Went to 11.0, deleted 11.1 U4, upgraded. 11.1 U4 running now. Seems ok except that 3 plugins won't upgrade. Could be associated with the glitch, could be the weak knees of the plugin system ;-)

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Dual-boot would not be particularly useful, since it would only run either FreeNAS or the other operating system at any particular time. Jails or VMs are used with FreeNAS to run multiple applications or operating systems at the same time. Jails are lightweight and could easily run a mail server. The external network access needed for a mailserver would be a security concern, but that is a separate problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.