Failed to receive sharelist from server. Connection refused

avalon60

Guru
My FreeNAS server has been running without a fault for the last 5or 6 years, until yesterday.
First, there was no ip address due to a change of router ip range, but now I can login in to freeNAS but on a different ip address from what it was using for years.
When I try to access the server from another pc or other device, I am getting either connection refused, or failed to retrieve share list. Connection refused.

I have smb1 ticked inthe samba services, but when I do this:
smbclient -L 192.168.0.12

it returns:
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Connection to 192.168.0.12 failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

I found a post from 2018 regarding this problem, but I would have thought that there might be a more uptodate fix for it.

Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
First, there was no IP address due to a change of router IP range, but now I can login in to freeNAS but on a different IP address from what it was using for years.

You ended up on a different IP somehow. You'll need to use the console menu to re-IP FreeNAS back to its original IP, default gateway, and DNS servers.

avalon60

Guru
I can't use the original ip address as the dhcp server has given that to another device.
The thing I didn't mention was on Thursday night, we were watching a film from the FreeNAS server, and at about 90% through, the film stopped with a lost connection message. That was using the original ip address. When i tried to continue watching, I got the connnection refused message.
Strange as it sounds, some changed.

avalon60

Guru
I just tried this line:
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=*****,password=***********,uid=rob,gid=rob //192.168.0.12/WinShare/Media/Films /mnt/WinShare/Media/Films
and it returned:
Unable to find suitable address.

My NAS server is on 192.168.0.12 now and I can login to it fromany device, so where is it looking for the address if it means an ip addess.

Samuel Tai

You've got some sort of ARP issue going on. Try rebooting your router, and then all your devices to get them back on their original IPs.

avalon60

Guru
Even after rebooting everything, I am still getting the same error message regarding connection refused.
Why is this, when it was ok before .
Thanks

Samuel Tai

Look at the SMB service to see if it's still bound to the old IP. You may have to reselect the IPs to bind, and then restart SMB.

avalon60

Guru
Ok, but where specifically do I look.
In the smb service , Bind IP addresses, there is only the new IP address.
Thanks

Redcoat

MVP
"Services" "SMB" three lines up from bottom.

avalon60

Guru
After rebooting everything again, all but one device can now access FreeNAS without any error messages, so I'm getting there.
I don't know why itwas suddenly ok now and not earlier, as I didn't really do anything that would cause it.
It seems to have righted itself as quickly as it went wrong.

Thanks