Looking for best practices for data backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburling

Cadet
Hello. I have just switched from NexentaSTOR to FreeNAS and am very happy I made the switch. Much better performance and ease of use. I am using FreeNAS as iSCSI datastores for my VMware ESXi servers in my lab. I have a primary FreeNAS server running with Raid10 and a secondary FreeNAS server running with Raid5 plus spare. What I woudl like to do is have the primary copied to the secondary each night. This is my home lab for testing things so it is not busy after 7:00 pm usually and not used until around 8:00 am the next morning.

What I am wondering is which process woudl be best to do this copy? I have looked at RSYNC tasks, as well as replication tasks. But is there a better way, or recommended way, to make sure I have a good copy of everything from the primary?

Thanks in advance for your time in reading this and any recommendations/suggestions you can send my way.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
When using 2 FreeNAS boxes, use snapshots and ZFS replication.

By "RAID10 and RAID 5", I hope you mean striped mirrors and raidz(1)

cburling

Cadet
Sorry PirateGhost, yes on the stripped mirrors and Raidz(1). Setting up the snapshots and ZFS replication now.

cburling

Cadet
Well, I am trying to create the Periodic Snapshots. Referencing the included image, I can manually create one for the nas1_vol2 dataset, but the nas1_vol1 creates and error message about no disk space. Looks like I may have screwed things up while creating the volumes. Can I fix this without having to redo the volume/dataset sizing?

Attachments

• nas1.png
    nas1.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 525
  • nas1.png
    nas1.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 488

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm confused by your layout.

Did you seriously allocate ALL of your available storage to an iscsi target?

If you did, you are in for a world of pain...

cburling

Cadet
I did. A stupid newbie mistake now that I have been looking around. I am going to move my VMs to my other FreeNAS system for now and redo my primary one. I have 6 3TB drives in it. I need about 4TB of disk for the iSCSI datastore. What woudl you recommend for my volume configuration? I thought I was doing the right thing by setting up the striped mirrors.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

tvsjr

Guru
Do some searching, there are plenty of threads on this topic.

In short, for anything approximating reasonable performance with full data security:
Striped mirrors. No RAIDZn.
Dedicated, fast, enterprise-class SLOG device with power-loss protection (Intel S3700 is a good choice, there are others)
Do not exceed 50% utilization on your pool. If you need 4TB, you need an 8TB pool. With 3TB drives, you'd set this up as 3 2-drive vdevs. Keep in mind, this doesn't leave you much expansion room before violating the 50% rule.
A solid UPS with scripted shutdown is recommended as well.
You can't have too much RAM.

cburling

Cadet
Thanks pirateghost and tvsjr. I now see the error of my ways and after searching and reading the forums, I believe I understand what I should have done. So I am moving all of my VMs to my secondary datastore and then will delete and rebuild the zfs structure on my primary FreeNAS server. Based on the recommendations I have seen and gotten, I will create a pool with four of my 3TB drives. From what I have gathered, I will do something like this:

zpool create nas1_vol1 mirror da0 da1
zpool add nas1_vol1 mirror da2 da3

This will provide me with a stripped mirror. I have an additional two 3TB drives, woudl it be an option to add them to the pool as well, or should I keep them as spares? I have seen a couple of examples using three mirrored pairs in a pool, but being new to ZFS, I am not sure if this would enhance, or hinder, the configuration.

Then, I will only use 50% of the available volume for my iSCSI datastore.

Going to take a while to copy everything, so will pick this back up in the morning. Have a great morning/day/evening wherever you are.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Don't use the command line to create the striped mirror array. The GUI will do it for you. Just create a mirror, and volume. Then create another mirror and extend the volume with that mirror.

cburling

Cadet
Don't use the command line to create the striped mirror array. The GUI will do it for you. Just create a mirror, and volume. Then create another mirror and extend the volume with that mirror.
Got it. And thank you for putting up with the newbie stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.