Again: Chained Replication Best Practices

Dear All,

I would very much welcome sharing experience about chained replication given the increased possiblities with 11.3.

My setup is:

primary location
1.1) first line busy system -> creates snapshots, replicates to second line system
1.2) second line system, standby/backup, less activity, should sync to secondary location via vpn

secondary location (less activity compared to primary location, should hold full backup, but also serve local security cameras, for example):
2.1) first line busy system -> creates snapshots, replicates to second line system
2.2) second line system, standby/backup, less activity, funnels a very small amount of configuration file backups to the primary location (no loops)

So far, I did replicate between locations using rsync, as I could not figure out a way to use replication.

Regarding my first question about this point, this seemed to be appropriate with syncthing being an alternative:

As replication is much more fine grained in 11.3, I did try again with replication instead of rsync in between locations. However, I am plainly unable to figure out a way for a secondary replication to work. The first line system can generate snapshots and replicate. The second line systems seems to end up with "No snapshots send yet" whatsoever when trying to replicate further. I did try creating addtional snapshots on the secondary system with a separate naming schema and replication running automatically as well as including the naming schema of the first line system and setting a time schedule. Nothing seems to work well.

Is there a reliable benachmark setup available for this situation or is the way to go still to use rsync at every second step?

Regards,

Michael Schefczyk