Linking FreeNAS to another NAS on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

FanOfSkynyrd

Cadet
New FreeNAS user here. I actually stumbled on to FreeNAS when researching a low power consumption Plex Media Server setup.

I had an old Dell XPS400 tower sitting around, so I figured why not give it a try.

Running the latest version of FreeNAS 64-bit from a 4GB USB drive. I have the Plex Media Server plug-in installed and running fine from a jail (I can open FreeNAS PMS via a web browser and ping the IP just fine).

My question is, I have another NAS on my network, a WD 3TB MyCloud...I know, had I stumbled onto FreeNAS several months ago when I bought it, I never would have and just built a FreeNAS box.

So now that my PMS is up and running on the FreeNAS box, I am trying to point the FreeNAS PMS to see all the media on my 3TB MyCloud.

Is there a way to do this?

As it stands right now, I do not have any intentions of running my FreeNAS set-up as a NAS, mainly just wanted to a low power consumption machine to run Plex from. The hardware in the Dell I had sitting around probably isnt powerful enough to efficiently run a good FreeNAS set-up (3.0GHz Pentium D, 4GB RAM-max).

So is it possible to point my FreeNAS to see all the media on the MyCloud NAS?

Thanks in advance

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I think you are going about this in completely the wrong direction. FreeNAS should not be considered as a Plex media server. It is a NAS appliance. PMS is an enhancement for those using it as a NAS.

You should just install any OS and mount your NAS in whatever method is available and easy, configure Plex media server on it and be done. FreeNAS is not the right tool for the job.

Personally I would recommend something like xubuntu to install on your Plex media server box

#stayparanoid

FanOfSkynyrd

Cadet
Thanks, I figured as much. This is the direction I am going now I think. The old Dell I dont think has the hardware to run FreeNAS as good as it should. I have an old laptop running Wn7 that I'll just use as my PMS. Down the line I'll look into building a modest FreeNAS box and just push all my media from the MyCloud to it.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.