Linking another NAS

Keef01

Cadet
Hi,

I'm very new to all this, and have limited knowledge in networking etc, so please bear with me and if you could help please ELI5 o_O haha

I have managed to get TrueNAS Scale installed and running on my Dell R610, all seems good and running fine, I have plex installed (its main use), and have it working great with an installed GPU.

Now I also have a blank qnap TS-421U, which I would like TrueNAS to see, mainly as I will have additional media on here that I would like Plex to use.

What would be the best/easiest way for this to be done?
I have tried searching all over the show and have yet to find anything that could help, or that I could understand.

Cheers!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What would be the best/easiest way for this to be done?
I have tried searching all over the show and have yet to find anything that could help, or that I could understand.

TrueNAS is intended to be a server, not a client. It does not support mounting stuff from other servers.

It is perfectly possible for you to set up either a virtual machine to host your Plex, which can then use the GPU, or you could set up a small Linux physical machine to run Plex. In both cases, you would be able to mount your data on the TrueNAS and QNAP into two different mount points, and then point Plex at both of them.

Keef01

Cadet
ahh I wasnt sure if there was a way to change my older qnap to a jbod style machine and have the Dell Truenas manage it.