Left SSD with Windows connected when booting FreeNAS USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpman247

Cadet
So, I left my SSD with a windows install connected when I booted from my USB into FreeNAS.

Sometimes I'll shut down the FreeNAS and use that PC to boot into windows since I only use the FreeNAS to backup data that I have stored somewhere else, and only do that backup twice per week.

Anyways, this happened once before. Upon rebooting the PC, and selecting the SSD to boot, windows crashes at the boot screen. Just when the Windows logo appears.

I thought I had learned my lesson before to turn the power off to my SSD before booting in the FreeNAS, but I forgot, so I'm in this pickle again. I can easily just restore the SSD. No necessary data is on it, but I would like to fix it so I can boot windows again?

I know I didn't change anything, other than booting from USB, and technically this shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think, but something about having the drive connected when booting into FreeNAS screws that windows drive up every time. Is there anything I can do to fix it, so I can boot into windows again?

Thanks

rs225

Guru
Does the crash give any specific message? If it is a blue screen, press F8 just before booting starts and you should get a menu that lets you disable automatic reboots. Then you can read the error message, and probably get some idea of what is wrong.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unless you mounted it, FreeNAS has nothing to do with your problem (mods, please move to offtopic).

Boot from your Windows install media and try to repair the installation. It's typically successful.

Also, that setup of your is a genuine Very Bad Idea (tm), for reasons that have been explained on these forums quite a few times - none of them on the Windows side.

hpman247

Cadet
I figured out my problem. I forgot I switched off a bios setting, and that was causing my windows SSD to be unable to boot.

Also, I don't see why it's such a bad idea? FreeNAS isn't that important to me. I like my unRAID a lot better, but FreeNAS is a good solution for backing up my data in case i should lose a drive and not be able to rewrite from parity on the unRAID. Like I said. I just backup the files once or twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.