4 T Drives only show as 1.6T

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmlman

Dabbler
I retired 10 of my 4T drives from FressNAS and re-purposed them for Windows. I didnt do anything about those retired drives but directly connected them into Win2016 server. I was trying to format them under Windows.

But for some reason, all of those 10 drives showing only as 1.6T. I know normally larger Drives has their limitation on Windows, has to convert to GPT. but no matter what I do, they are only showing as 1.6T, I was trying to use SeagateTools for Dos to reset those drives, but no success.

What did FreeNAS do to those drives? A similar issue happened to my FreeNAS boot USB drive another day, after removing that Boot USB, it no longer accessible, showing as "no media"......

Help please.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Which version of Windows are you working with and what brand of Hard Drives?
More details are required please.

Also as this is really not a FreeNAS issue, would a Mod please move this to appropriate section.
@Ericloewe

zmlman

Dabbler
Which version of Windows are you working with and what brand of Hard Drives?
More details are required please.

Also as this is really not a FreeNAS issue, would a Mod please move this to appropriate section.
@Ericloewe

Seagate drives and FressNAS 11.1.

I think it is FreeNAS issue, I want to know how FreeNAS formatted the drives while I was creating data set on it. (same as "what did it do to USB boot drives"), I am not sure if this is something to do with Ver11, on Ver9, drives can be retired and re-used in Windows, it does not make any sense all 10 of my 4T drives all showing as 1.6T under windows and Linux, even SAS controller and SATA controller are reading them as 1.6T.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What did FreeNAS do to those drives?
FreeNAS didn't do anything. I have taken 4TB drives to FreeNAS and back many times. It is absolutely nothing to do with FreeNAS.
It is more likely a drive controller issue. What controller are you connecting the drives through?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think it is FreeNAS issue, cus I want to know how FreeNAS formatted the drives
cus is not a word. Please use proper language so that others can understand what you are trying to say, even if what you are trying to say makes no sense.

zmlman

Dabbler
FreeNAS didn't do anything. I have taken 4TB drives to FreeNAS and back many times. It is absolutely nothing to do with FreeNAS.
It is more likely a drive controller issue. What controller are you connecting the drives through?
LSI logic sas controller, i dont think it gets anything to do with this controller, I have other 4t drives removed from freenas v9, they all ok to be read on this server with full capacity.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
LSI logic sas controller, i don't think it gets anything to do with this controller, I have other 4t drives removed from freenas v9, they all ok to be read on this server with full capacity.
What about SAS expanders? Is there anything between the drive and the server that might modify the function of the drive? All FreeNAS does is create two GUID partitions. One for the swap space and one for the data. The first, for swap, should be 2MB and the second should fill the remainder of the drive. Delete them and your drive should be ready to partition and format in Windows. I have done that with 2TB, 4TB and 6TB drives many times using every version of FreeNAS from 9.something to the latest. FreeNAS doesn't do anything special to the drives.

zmlman

Dabbler
They are all directly attached to server.

One more thing I forgot mentioning is that all those drives now showing under windows as "Read only" . I will try more Seagate tools to see if there is anything helpful.

Redcoat

MVP
I would try Partition Magic for this issue.

kdragon75

Wizard
even if what you are trying to say makes no sense.
:D
LSI logic sas controller
Does this LSI have a model number?
i don't think it gets anything
Neither do I.
4t drives
You Mean 4TB?
I want to know how FreeNAS formatted the drives while I was creating data set on it.
It created a (roughly using marketing math) 3.8TB zfs partition using a GPT partition table and then a swap partition with the last 2GB

sretalla