Why is Windows so useless at remounting network drives!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

no_connection

Patron
This bug as been around for many years, yet Microsoft never seems to care.

Network dives comes up with a red X in them while Windows happily notifies you that it failed to mount all network drives.
Clicking on a drive mounts it. But if you try to access a file (like a song in a playlist) it will fail. Leaving you with annoyance.
Reinstalling Windows *might* fix it, but who has time to do that. From what I know there is no fix.

I am forced to use a .bat file to mount my drives with net use at startup. But even that is not reliable enough as it might fail leaving me with less than optimal number of drives.

Any tips on how to reliably mount drives at startup?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not that I usually mount network drives, but I never had such issues when I did.

Do you mount them from the wizard and check the "auto-mount on startup" checkbox?

no_connection

Patron
Doesn't matter how they are mounted. And yes it is checked. Some machines are fine while others just won't mount nicely.
This is a widespread problem with threads going years back with no solution in sight.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's why I have a script that mounts/unmounts. When it runs on bootup it unmounts and mounts everything I need. If I have a problem I just run the script again and problems are gone. :D

no_connection

Patron
Mine does that too, but lately it does not get all drives sometimes, easily fixed by running the mapping part again.
I guess I can make the script run a second time just in case it didn't work the first time.

Maybe it's worth a try unmounting on shutdown, now it unmounts all drives then mounts it again.

no_connection

Patron
So running it a second time got three out of four lights.

Any idea on a script or *anything* that would connect to a drive forcing it to work?
Or an application that makes sure network drives connect properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.