I just want NFS to work - why is it so hard?

Stephen J

Dabbler
Recently installed 11.2 (Haven't used FreeNAS since 9.3). Set up a couple pools. Shared one out as iSCSI and mounted it on a Windows Server. Now I want to mount an NFS share on an Ubuntu 14.04 server (will be moved to 16.04 before long) to put some backups. Created another pool from some disks, set up the NFS share and tried to connect to it. I have searched all over and found issues but none seem to match mine. Here is what I'm getting

root@u14s-sandbox:/home/stephen# mount -t nfs 192.168.39.52:/mnt/Mirror-1 /mnt/Mirror-1
column: nfs: No such file or directory
column: 192.168.39.52:/mnt/Mirror-1: No such file or directory

leaving off the -t nfs just drops the "column: nfs:..." portion of the error.

I'm following directions at https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/sharing.html#unix-nfs-shares

I did a mapall and maproot to nobody. I don't have nfs4 enabled. When I do showmount it lists the share and the IPs that are allowed to access it.

Stephen

KrisBee

Wizard
Are you mounting a dataset or a directory in a dataset? I'd expect to see your pool name in the mount path, e.g. 192.168.39.52:/mnt/<pool name>/....

Please post the output of cat /etc/exports on FreeNAS.

Last edited:

Stephen J

Dabbler
I tried mounting both the dataset and a subdirectory. Mirror-1 is the pool name.

/mnt/Mirror-1 -alldirs -mapall="nobody":"nobody" 172.19.0.245 192.168.39.53

KrisBee

Wizard
Exporting & mounting a pool, although not necessarily useful once you have datasets within it, is valid and your syntax looks correct. Adding a verbose flag to the linux mount probably won't tell you much, other than saying "reason given by server: No such file or directory". Ubuntu14.04 LTS is close to end of maintenance, so is it posslble this is a clientside problem?

Stephen J

Dabbler
Well, it worked on Ubuntu 16.04 so it must be something in the 14.04 version of nfs-common. :(