Last drive to add not being found

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake eyes

Cadet
Hi guys

I have a FreeNAS box here with a ZFS setup that had 6 2TB seagates in it
For the past few days I have been removing those drives and replacing them with WD RED 4tb drives.

so going to view volumes > main > volume status > selecting a ADA point (so lets say ada5p2) clicking edit disk (to get its serial) and then puting the drive offline.
shutdown the system, open the box, remove that drive and replace it with the new one. start up system again . going to view volume > volume statues again. select the long string of numbers (or the one that is offline) and click replace.
then in the dialogue there is usually 2 things, namely the new drive (at 4TB) and another selection (da1 7.8gb)

now, I have put the last drive in and all that comes up when i go to replace is the da1 7,8gb.
why cant i see the other drive? is this normal?
anyone able to assist?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Let me see if I understand your situation...

You have replaced all six hard drives in your system and used the procedures in the user manual to replace each one of them. Did you wait for each disk to complete the resilver and was your data available while you were doing this work?

If the drive doesn't come up after you installed it then I would first verify it was plugged in properly. The drive could also be DOA. If you are unsure about the status of the drive then I'd place it into another system (any system) just to verify the hard drive is functional. If the drive is determined to be operational then post requested information from @m0nkey_ requested and the output from "zpool status" and "dmesg".

snake eyes

Cadet
Thank you for the replies
@m0nkey_ sorry that I didnt add the hardware information as the box was built by someone else, so I am not 100% sure on what the actual hardware is.

@joeschmuck I replaced and let the drives resilver (I let them run overnight and they all completed 100% successfully) the data is fine, I replaced the original drive that i removed and the pool is ok now, but not upgraded to the 4TB drives fully.
I will check if the drive is DOA and see from there.

thank you guys

snake eyes

Cadet
Ok guys
sorry to have wasted everyones time, but I was unsure that maybe it was something in FreeNAS that was stoping the drive being detedted or the drive itself.

turns out, the drive was DOA...

thank you guys

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not a waste of time. Sometimes hardware comes DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.