Failing drive - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509282017

I have a volume of 3 X 4 TB drives.

The 3 drives are striped.

Yes I know I don't have redundancy and I've learnt my lesson, will never do that again.

Anyhow, one of the 3 X 4TB drives is failing.

The volume is a total of 12 TB and only 50% is used.

Therefore I would like to remove the failing drive from the volume.

How can I do that?

To be precise, I want the data on the failing drive to be distributed on the two other healthy drives.

When going in the "Volume status" the three options I see is "Edit Disk", "Offline" and "Replace"
None of those seem to correspond that what I'm looking to do.

I want to take out the drive, try to have it replaced by WD (since it's very recent) and then build a RAID-Z2 vdev of 5 drives.

So I don't want to replace it, I want to remove it.

Please advise, thanks!! :D

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Therefore I would like to remove the failing drive from the volume.

How can I do that?
I'm very sorry to tell you it can't be done without breaking the Volume and the result would be TOTAL
loss of the data on ALL three drives. You need to back up your data before that drive craps out or
your data is going to digital heaven.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Unfortunately sir, BigDave is correct. You cannot recover this pool; it is the nature of ZFS. You are on borrowed time. Copy as many of the files as you can off of the pool to other disks. When that drive breaks, you lose your whole data store. The concept of "redistributing the data to the other disks" does not even remotely exist in this filesystem.

BlazeStar

Patron
God damn...

Any recommendations on the HD to buy?

I was gonna go for WD Reds.

I've been trying to search for HD recommendations but the info I get are completely random except it seems to favour WD drives, generally.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
God damn...

Any recommendations on the HD to buy?

I was gonna go for WD Reds.

I've been trying to search for HD recommendations but the info I get are completely random except it seems to favour WD drives, generally.
We almost universally recommend WD "red" drives. There are some holiday specials on Newegg, if you're American.

BlazeStar

Patron
I'm North American... Canadian that is... we have Black Friday coming here too...

I'm going to get me a LSI 9211-8i, and a shitload of 4 TB WD RED, then go all RAID-Z2

But I'll be stuck with my two good 4 TB drives from my current volume (with one failing disk)... because the way I understand it, I can't add more drives once my RAID-Z2 volume is created :(

I guess I'll use them as local backup or something

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

gpsguy

Copycats, eh!

Canadian Thanksgiving was almost 6 weeks ago.

I'm North American... Canadian that is... we have Black Friday coming here too...

I'm married to a Canadian and have a lot of friends who live in Ontario.

BlazeStar

Patron
Copycats, eh!

Canadian Thanksgiving was almost 6 weeks ago.

Yeah we have the Black Friday, even the "Cyber Monday" but no ThanksGiving, next weekend.

Most people here don't even know Black Friday has something to do with the ThanksGiving from the USA.
They just think it's a sales event before the Holiday season ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.